Winrock International is recruiting applicants for the Arlington, Virginia-based position of Interim Manager, New Business Development (NBD Manager) within the Civil Society and Education (CSE) group. This is a temporary, full-time position from April – October 2019 and will serve to provide comprehensive coverage while the current Manager is on leave.
The Interim Manager, New Business Development (NBD Manager) is a highly visible team member, overseeing new business activities and strategy for the CSE group. The successful applicant will drive new business development in the areas of counter trafficking in persons (CTIP), child labor reduction, gender equality, access to education, and civil society and governance. This person should be a highly motivated and capable individual with excellent written and verbal communication skills; a proven track record in proposal development resulting in program funding and expansions; and the ability to collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of headquarters and field office staff to design successful projects and foster donor relationships. An ability to “hit the ground running” and work independently is a strong requirement given the temporary nature of the position.
- Manage new business pipeline tracking, forecasting, and analysis to support Senior Management needs and ensure return on investment.
- Based on programmatic priorities within the group, research funding opportunities, meet with donors, conduct market analysis, and support opportunity tracking, capture, and winning proposal development.
- Work with staff, field offices, partners, and other Winrock teams to facilitate the design of sound technical approaches for new program/funding opportunities.
- Mentor and guide other members of proposal teams to improve efficiency and quality of proposals – especially as it relates to technical writing and budgeting.
- Lead the proposal development process on select opportunities, forming and managing proposal teams, and ensuring compliance with Winrock and donor requirements.
- Coordinate teaming agreements, memoranda of understanding, and other institutional agreements with partners.
- Support proposal development teams in staff recruitment, including development of position descriptions; coordination with Winrock recruiters on recruitment and short-listing of proposed key staff; conducting interviews; and leading negotiations and hiring of proposed key staff.
- Represent Winrock before governments, NGOs, and other stakeholders regarding programming and priorities for CTIP, child labor reduction, gender equality, access to education, and civil society and governance.
- Participate in cross-divisional program/project planning, implementation and proposal development.
- Review proposals and offer detailed feedback/guidance to writers and managers.
- Represent CSE at larger Winrock meetings and initiatives related to new business.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
- Education: Master’s Degree in fields related to international development, international education, or children/youth development preferred.
- Languages: Fluency in English required; fluency in at least one additional language desired.
- Six to 10 years of international development/non-profit experience required, with experience in Africa and/or Asia preferred
- Extensive experience leading successful business development efforts with diverse donors, including USG (USAID, DOL, USDA), private sector, foundations, and other independent donors
- Experience managing new business pipeline tracking, forecasting, and market analysis
- Hands-on experience in successful development of proposals/applications to US Government and other bilateral/multilateral agencies
- Knowledge of development programming as well as the application of best practices and program quality standards required
- Excellent writing, editing, and proof-reading skills
- Demonstrated skills in technical development, budgeting and financial analysis and management
- Excellent communication, writing, editing, and proof-reading skills
- Ability to juggle multiple demands, manage shifting priorities, and meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across teams and institutions
- Administrative skills and strong knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Visio), Salesforce and other relevant computer applications
About the Organization
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.