Job Description Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific
The internship is learning and working opportunity that targets fresh gardautes. The intern will assist the ICT Officer to efficiently and effectively manage ICT and support to the Ethiopia operational hub (ETOH). The intern will be exposed to practical learning and working experiences that foster development of his /her path. The Intern will work full time and follow the same working hours as UNOPS employees.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Construction Management and Quality Control;
- Writing proposals and technical reports;
- Supporting in the Quality and Design Review Process.
Provide support on achievement of the following results:.
- Assist with implementation of infrastructure projects in Ethiopia, Sudan & Djibouti by providing project teams with advice and technical support (AutoCAD and technical drawings, quantities calculations, cost estimates, etc).
- Help ETOH Director and relevant managers with developing infrastructure-related proposals with various partners, including UN, government entities, etc.
- Assist the PMs in the production of the tender documents for construction projects.
- Help the PMs for the analysis and the technical evaluation of the bids.
- Assist the Project Managers to manage the design plan ensuring deliverables are available on time, and to the required quality.
- Help the Project Managers to manage the ongoing project (progress meeting organization, schedule updates, reporting).
- Ensure that work required from infrastructure/works engineers are completed in a timely manner, including identification and addressing of potential delays, quality matters, and cost overruns.
- Assist Infrastructure Team Leader with coming up with recommendations to overcome issues and risks relating to infrastructure projects.
- Work with PMs and Procurement Unit to provide supervision of project work progress and quality for on-time project delivery through various national & international suppliers. Ensure quantity/quality control and time schedule consistency.
- Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications and inform promptly of eventual deviations. Help monitor contractor activities in the project site, including Bill of Quantities (BoQ) is in line with the approved contract and design documents.
- Support review of requests for new construction and rehabilitation works. Help conduct needs assessments, organize preliminary and feasibility studies, required for finalization/launch of projects.
- Assist the Project Manager to outline design requirements (e.g. timeline) to procure design services, including concept, preliminary and final stages where applicable. Work with the PM and Procurement Unit to prepare tender and solicitation documents, including technical documents such as drawings, BoQs, etc. Work with Procurement Unit to review tenders/bids from a technical point of view.
- Assist in providing training and technology transfer to national personnel and contractor’s personnel and advice on good construction practices, good environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction
- Perform other duties as assigned by Team Leader/Manager
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering. Masters Degree in the fields is an advantage.
B. Work Experience
C. Language Requirements
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience.
- Applicants should have graduated from the above stated field within three (3) years prior to the applications date of the internship.
- Fluency in written and oral English and local language is required.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to acquire new knowledge and being flexible.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to produce quality result in time.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge-sharing and learning culture in the office
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and enc…
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Internship
- Contract duration - Six month
About the Organization
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.