The intern assists in planning and implementation of projects and recruitment efforts of the International Support Division of ABA’s Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI). As part of a small team, this intern will provide support for the recruitment and numerous other needs of ABA ROLI’s development programs in over 40 countries. If applicants are unable to work in Washington, DC, applicants can work remotely and can commit 20-40 hours a week.
- Work closely with regional HR manager and hiring managers to identify candidates for programs domestically and internationally;
- Conduct interviews domestically and internationally over the phone or via Skype;
- Administer assessments of candidates on behalf of ROLI’s Divisions;
- Serve as a point of contact for assigned projects, communicates with division staff on project progress and results;
- Ensures accountability for successful execution of assigned projects.
TERMS OF THE PROGRAM:
Interns and fellows for ABA ROLI will work with staff of their assigned division to gain an understanding of international development programs and international rule of law issues. In general, ABA ROLI offers International Development and Legal internships, which differ somewhat in their expected responsibilities and desired applicant profiles. International Development openings will support various aspects of program implementation for DC-based regional and support teams, while Legal openings will be more heavily research-based and tailored toward graduate and law students.
Although these are unpaid positions, interns at ABA ROLI are eligible for a wide variety of perks and learning opportunities including:
- Transportation reimbursement up to $15.00/day
- Field trips to D.C. legal destinations such as the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Supreme Court and Library of Congress
- Brown-bag lunches with ABA ROLI staff and guest speakers
- Bachelor’s Degree student from a four-year college or university (or equivalent experience);
- Possession of basic skills in Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills;
- Familiarity with ABA ROLI’s thematic topics;
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and juggle multiple responsibilities at once;
- Demonstrated interest in international development, particularly interest in international development recruitment or human resources strongly preferred.
- Previous experience working in an office environment.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with the American Bar Association please call 312-988-5188.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html