The Office of the Inspector General (OIG) provides oversight of the programmes and operations of the Organization, through internal audit, inspection and investigation.
The post is located in the Internal Audit Group of OIG and is based in the FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP) in Bangkok, Thailand. The Internal Audit Group carries out a risk-based programme of audit work as well as ad hoc inspections. Through these activities OIG monitors and evaluates the adequacy and effectiveness of the Organization’s system of internal control, financial management and use of assets.
The Internal Auditor reports to a Senior Auditor at Headquarters.
The planning and conduct of complex audits, advisory and special assignments and inspections in HQ and/or the field to add value and improve the Organization’s operations, and to provide assurance that the outputs of the Organization are produced with due regard to economy, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Contributes to the preparation of the risk-based biennial audit plan, under the coordination of a Senior Auditor, and ensures comprehensive and quality audit programmes are prepared;
- Plans, leads and/or participates and provides specialist expertise on major, comprehensive, multi-disciplinary audit teams and/or project, programme, operational reviews, special audits, and inspections, and participates in Organization working groups, and/or supervises staff;
- Plans and conducts audit assignments, from the initial planning, information gathering and interview stages to the final analysis and report writing stages, in accordance with internal procedures and auditing standards;
- Prepares/reviews electronic working papers utilizing TeamMate that support audit findings and recommendations.
- Prepares clear and concise draft reports and presents audit results and recommendations, orally and in writing to the Inspector-General and senior management;
- Provides specialist advice as appropriate to managers across the Organization;
- Promotes capacity development in audit assignments and provides on the job training and supervision to other staff, as well as contributes to maintaining and updating the Quality Assurance and Improvement Programme and the Audit Manual;
- Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in audit, business or public administration, finance, accounting, economics, political science, international development, law or a related field (candidates holding a first level university degree may also be considered if possessing two additional years of relevant work experience)
- Seven years of relevant experience in an organization using modern auditing, accounting, management and information systems techniques (e.g. internal audit department in the public or private sector, or an auditing, accounting or consulting firm)
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance of experience in auditing, accounting, management and information system techniques
- Extent and relevance of experience of risk assessment
- Extent and relevance of experience of strategic planning and programme management and operations concepts
- Extent and relevance of experience in performing and supervising financial, operational, performance and IT audits, and/or experience in accounting and/or business administration
- Experience in using specialized audit software
About the Organization
An intergovernmental organization, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO's efforts - to make sure people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. FAO's mandate is to raise levels of nutrition, improve agricultural productivity, better the lives of rural populations and contribute to the growth of the world economy.