The International Development Associate (IDA) works under the overall program supervision and policy guidance of the Salesian Missions Office for International Programs Director (SMOIP/D). Day-to-day program supervision and planning is provided by the Senior International Programs Officer.
The IDA also works in coordination with other IDAs in SMOIP in service of Salesian works to support the young and the poor around the globe and in the United States through capacity building, grants-in-aid, and in-kind donations that strengthen Salesian schools, projects, and works in general around the globe.
Approximately 30% of travel is required.
- Lead and/or assist with select international project proposal and concept paper development efforts;
- Support the SMOIP/D in project management for U.S. Government and private foundation-funded development activities, including oversight of local project set-up and implementation; monitoring of expenditures and of financial reports completed by the grant accountant; and preparation and submission of quarterly, annual, and final reports;
- Seek out pertinent project funding opportunities and engage in new business development and networking with government, private foundation, and other bilateral and multilateral donors, under the supervision and guidance of the SMOIP/D; and
- Assist the SMOIP/D and Senior International Programs Officer with general administrative responsibilities and project or proposal-related support, as necessary.
- A. or M.S. in international relations, development economics, or a related field, although 10 years of related work experience with a B.A. may be considered in lieu of a graduate degree;
- Minimum of 3-5 years of related work experience, especially in successful proposal development and/or international project management for an international NGO;
- Strong English writing and grammar skills, and strong analytical skills;
- Demonstrated creativity in developing project proposals, dealing with conflicting priorities and complexity, and effectively articulating conclusions in written and oral forms;
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Computer literate, including operating skills necessary for development and preparation of Excel spreadsheets, correspondence, and research;
- Creativity, initiative, organizational skills, and extreme attention to detail, with an emphasis on following tasks to completion;
- Fluent in English and working level fluency of a foreign language, especially Spanish or French;
- Understanding of and commitment to upholding the Christian values of the Roman Catholic Church; and
- Prior overseas work or volunteer experience highly desirable.
Please email (1)resume, (2)cover letter, and (3) unedited writing sample to email@example.com, with a subject line of “IDA Application.”
About the Organization
Salesian Missions is the main fundraising facility in the U.S. for the Salesians of Don Bosco, a Roman Catholic charity founded by Don Bosco in 1845. Our mission is to teach young people various trades that will help them find decent jobs and become self-sufficient, contributing members of society. The Salesians insist that the needy help themselves in whatever way they can, even minimally. They do not encourage dependence or paternalism, but strive to live up to the working maxim, “helping others to help themselves.”
Today, we continue our mission of caring for the poor children of the world with missionaries in over 131 countries. Our office is located in New Rochelle, N.Y. and employs 70 individuals.