Devex is seeking talented journalists interested in being part of a fast-growing global newsroom covering the multi-faceted field of international development.
Our Washington, DC, fellows get involved in at least one of the following:
- Reporting: Cover key government, multilateral, nonprofit and private-sector players in international development, humanitarian relief, food security, global health and related issues.
- Editing: Use AP style to edit article, blog and video content.
- Newsroom management: Assist with marketing, SEO and other key aspects of running a growing global newsroom’s day-to-day operations.
Whatever the focus of your fellowship, you will learn how the international development industry works and how a growing global newsroom operates. You will build relationships with practitioners and gain valuable professional experience.
About Devex News:
Our news coverage focuses on the following:
Interviews with high-level officials, including leaders of bilateral and multilateral donor agencies.
In-depth feature profiles of key figures in international development.
Industry “buzz” and breaking news in each of the above development hubs.
Business news on how organizations may gain visibility, strike up partnerships and win funding for international development projects.
Career coverage exploring ways to pursue internships, volunteer opportunities, fellowships, consultancies and staff positions in key development sectors or with top aid organizations.
Devex is a social enterprise providing recruiting services, business information, networking opportunities and news to more than 150,000 international development professionals around the globe. We’ve been the development community’s top one-stop shop for everything development since 2000, and our news is widely read by a variety of experts in organizations such as the U.N., World Bank, USAID, Save the Children, DAI, Chemonics and other groups in the U.S. and beyond. To find out more, visit www.devex.com.
Our audience consists mainly of experts in the international development sector who expect editorial content that will help them improve their business or careers while doing good at the same time.
About this opportunity:
Fellowships include a monthly stipend and are full-time positions for a period of 3 to 6 months. Unpaid internships may be available on a full- or part-time basis for undergraduates or recent graduates.
Only candidates with experience in journalism, excellent written and spoken English, and a U.S. work authorization will be considered. Professional or academic work in international development or related matters is a big plus, as are experience in shooting video content and the ability to speak and write in multiple languages. We are looking for detail-oriented self-starters who have a knack for writing catchy leads, budding editors with a firm knowledge of the AP writing style, and journalists interested in the news business and in finding creative ways to increase readership.
How to apply
If you are interested in our fellowship, please e-mail email@example.com, and include the following:
- In your e-mail’s subject line: Your desired fellowship focus (reporting, editing or newsroom management) as well as desired start date (eg., “Editing: May 1, 2010”).
- Your resume.
- At least three writing samples that showcase your knowledge of international development and the agencies you would be covering for us, your interviewing and feature writing skills, and your ability to express complex policy and technical matters in an engaging manner (for reporters and editors).
- A short description of why you are interested in this fellowship, what experience you have in your desired fellowship focus area, and how you would like to contribute to Devex News.
- Whether you would like to receive academic credit for your work.
- Your flexibility when it comes to desired start date and fellowship focus.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified at least one month prior to the fellowship’s official start date.