This is an opportunity to join Abt Associate’s rapidly growing London team as an International Development Specialist (IDS). The role will be fast-paced and hands-on as you help grow Abt’s operations in the UK and across Africa and Asia. This brings extensive learning opportunities across all facets of the business, potential for international and domestic travel, and in a global, flexible working environment.
The IDS will identify and track new business opportunities with the DFID and FCO in priority countries across Africa and Asia and will contribute to Abt’s international development business strategy and support Abt’s UK business to grow our DFID portfolio.
The IDS will support a broad range of tender preparation and management activities, including: market research, proposal management, writing tender sections, management of tender teams, preparing tender agreements, and reviewing, editing and formatting tender documents. The IDS will also undertake programme management activities where required.
The International Development Specialist is responsible for:
- Identifying and tracking potential business opportunities, including client meetings and in-country capture trips
- Developing and maintaining strong external working relationships with clients, strategic partners, and technical advisers
- Leading tender preparation and proposal management activities
- Undertaking management and administrative duties for business development activities
- Contributing to the development and expansion of the centralised knowledge management repository
- Undertaking market research to inform business development strategy
- Supporting the continuous improvement of business development systems and processes
PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT & TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
- Developing and executing mobilisation work plans for new programmes, such as onboarding staff and developing programme tools and documents
- Managing country teams with programme management activities as key point of contact in London
- Managing delivery teams as they engage in technical assistance
- Researching and synthesising knowledge to convey Abt’s technical capabilities across priority sectors (including governance, health, and economic development) to partners and clients
- Contributing to technical deliverables across programmes, where required
The successful candidate will bring:
- Demonstrable success in business development across international donor-funded opportunities, ideally DFID & FCO
- Demonstrated experience of managing bids, including creating bid budgets,
- Demonstrated experience of managing capture, including creating capture plans, taking part in capture trips and forming and managing consortia
- Demonstrated success in managing programme stakeholders and communicating programme impact
- Demonstrated success in writing DFID & FCO proposals including knowledge of tendering requirements, compliance and guidelines for consulting services
- Demonstrated organisational skills with excellent writing and computer skills
- Previous programmatic work with DFID and/or FCO, either programme management, or technical work – other donor experience welcome
- Degree in economic development, public policy, international development, or other relevant area
For Further Information and Application Details
Additional details of this opportunity can be found in the ‘View Position Description’ link at the top of this page.
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associate’s website, and should include a current CV, cover letter and a response to the key selection criteria, including questions of due diligence.
The closing date for applications is 12 April 2019 (midnight AEST).
We welcome and thank all applications, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Please note, candidates will need to have the right to work in UK.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.