International Health Specialist
- 7.5-month maternity backfill (mid November 2019 to June 2020, with possible extension to November 2020
- Fixed Term Contract - part-time position
- Located in Canberra, Australia
- Attractive Salary
Specialist Health Service (SHS)
Managed by Abt Associates Australia and located in the centre of Canberra, the Specialist Health Service provides strategic input on health to the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. DFAT posts and desks around the globe and in Canberra may contact the SHS for assistance with any health-related topic. The SHS allows DFAT to source high quality technical advice to support health policy, strategic planning and health programming across the aid management cycle. The SHS maintains panels of experts in numerous health technical subjects. The SHS staff guide, manage and quality assure the advice, as well as preparing brief reviews and technical inputs to support Australian Government staff.
We are currently inviting applications for the role of International Health Specialist to work as part of our in-house technical team on a 7.5-month maternity cover basis. The International Health Specialist conducts health related research and supports the planning, recruitment, management and quality assurance of health technical teams. The position reports to the SHS Director.
A Terms of Reference providing further details of this opportunity is available on the Abt Associates website: www.abtassoc.com/careers
The preferred applicant will have:
- At least 5 years applied experience in consulting, research, advising and writing on international health and development
- Knowledge of and ability to assess and summarise research in a range of public health technical areas (e.g., epidemiology, demography, economics, policy) and specialisms (e.g., global health financing mechanisms, health security and pandemic preparedness, health systems strengthening, etc.)
- Post-graduate degree in international public health related field
- Demonstrated ability to write rapidly, clearly and accurately on international health and development topics
- Excellent written and spoken English skills
- Strong interpersonal, cross-cultural and communication skills
- Commitment to team work and ability to build constructive and effective relationships
- A preparedness to work in a challenging environment involving quick turnarounds and changing contexts
- Previous experience living and working in a developing country (particularly in the Pacific or small island states) is desirable but not essential
Further Information & Application
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associates’ website and must include a CV and covering letter addressing the key selection criteria listed via the position description: www.abtassoc.com/careers
Applications close: 30 September 2019 – midnight (AEST)
You must have full Australian working rights to be eligible for consideration for this role.
We welcome and thank all applicants however; only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.