FHI 360 is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position International Last-Mile Connectivity/ Internet Access Expert for a four year program under a Threshold Program Grant Agreement (Grant) to be signed by the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) and the Government of Togo (GoT) with the objective of reducing poverty through economic growth in Togo. The Togo Threshold Program will focus on the Increased Competition, Independent Regulation, and Expanded Access in the ICT Sector Project (the “ICT Project”). The International Last-Mile Connectivity/Internet Access Expert will provide overall guidance on technology, business models, companies, and related connectivity initiatives to encourage well-informed deployment of connectivity business operations in Togo.
The position will be based in Lomé and is contingent upon approval and availability of funds.
- Advise GoT and project leaders on context-appropriate connectivity technologies and business models
- Design and conduct relevant capacity-increasing training of GoT and project staff
- Advise Togolese connectivity start-ups on business design and planning, as well as technology choices
- Connect connectivity efforts in Togo to related initiatives of other major organizations and companies
- Design and implement connectivity technology pilot projects
- Advise GoT and project on connectivity research and procurements
- Relevant master’s Degree or its international equivalent from an accredited university/college strongly preferred
- At least eight years of progressively responsible experience in their career deploying last-mile Internet and/or GSM hardware in Africa
- Experience working with connectivity start-ups on business planning
- Experience pitching (or helping others pitch) connectivity start-up ideas
- Expansive knowledge of previous and current last-mile connectivity attempts in Africa
- Knowledge of the various connectivity initiatives of USAID, DFID, ITU-D, GSMA, WEF’s Internet for All initiative, Facebook, Microsoft, IFC
- Knowledge of existing investment facilities that are available for last-mile connectivity initiatives, investment project preparation facilities, and deal-sharing platforms and initiatives
- Professional French speaking ability preferred
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.