Adam Smith International’s MENA team is seeking to recruit an international Public Financial Management (PFM) expert to support current programmes working within the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPTs) on security sector reform. It is an exciting role which would be expected to coordinate closely with UK and other donor programming supporting PFM reform in Palestine, as well as others working on the Palestinian Security Sector Capability Accountability Sustainability and Inclusivity Programme (CASIP) programme, which is the UK funded programme supporting cross-security sector capacity development and reform.
In close coordination with the Team Leader, the Deputy Head of Programme, the local experts on PFM and the local coordinator, the international experts on PFM are responsible for supporting the implementation of the PFM thematic area activities, based on the approved project documents, potentially including but not limited to:
- Put in place a PFM Senior Support Team and an Implementation Team to support institutional change within Palestinian Authority Security Forces (PASF) agencies;
- Build the capacity of the PFM Implementation Team members by providing them with the necessary knowledge and understanding of the content and processes related to carrying out the functional review;
- Support the functional review of the PASF agencies/Central Financial Administration (CFA) and make recommendations on their organisational structure, roles and responsibilities;
- Draft a methodology and a workplan for the functional review process in consultation with the Senior Support Team;
- Collect and review legal documents on the financial organisation of the PASF agencies/CFA;
- Gather information from PASF agencies through questionnaires;
- Carry out interviews with finance managers at all PASF agencies and other relevant institutions to define their actual roles and responsibilities;
- Prepare recommendations on a functional change and change management plan to improve their effectiveness.
- Hold workshops with PASF agencies/CFA to discuss proposed organisational structures and validate recommendations together with change management plan;
- Accompany the process of implementing the recommendations through coaching of relevant decision makers and staff;
- Review the organisation, process and structure of PASF agencies/CFA for budget preparation and for cash management;
- Develop working tools on budget preparation and cash management in collaboration with the Ministry of Finance and Planning;
- Organize a series of trainings and coaching sessions for the staff members of the CFA and the financial units at the PASF agencies on budget preparation and cash management;
- Assess existing systems of financial controls over expenditures in PASF agencies;
- Develop guidelines on international control based on best practice;
- Train staff members of the CFA and the financial units at the PASF agencies on the above-mentioned guidelines;
- Identify, map and document operational procedures (main focus on accounting and evaluation system) in PASF agencies to detect bottlenecks, reduce the time frame of the financial information processing and computerise the processes when possible;
- Develop guidelines on existing operational procedures (main focus on accounting and evaluation system) based on best international practices;
- Provide capacity building trainings on the above-mentioned guidelines to the internal oversight units at PASF agencies and the PFM Team.
- Significant experience in leading PFM components on technical assistance programmes, particularly with experience in capacity development in budget preparation and cash management
- Experience in carrying out scoping/design of PFM interventions.
- Client-focused attitude
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Experience with flexible or adaptive management approaches to institutional development
- Experience working security sector or defence budgeting
- Arabic language skills
- Experience in Palestine
- Experience in MENA
- Experience working on UK funded programmes
Interested candidates should submit an up-to-date CV and brief motivation statement to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 31, 2020 with the subject line “International PFM Expert ”.
About the Organization
About Adam Smith International
Adam Smith International is a strategic development company that helps people prosper by making economies stronger, societies safer, and governments more effective. Our clients are governments, international organisations, companies, and foundations. They come to us to develop strategies and to design, deliver and evaluate programmes that, in turn, stimulate growth, stability and good governance.
Our core team of managers and technical experts, in offices around the world, ensures the quality of delivery and high ethical standards that we and our clients require. We bring together a global network of specialist experts, who contribute their experience and know-how, where and when it is needed.
ASI is owned and operated by its employees, and we are all dedicated to making a meaningful difference in complex, challenging situations. We are committed to corporate integrity and a triple bottom line of social, environmental and financial performance.