With more than 30 years of experience, CowaterSogema is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development. We have managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe for clients such as DFID, DFAT Australia, the World Bank and Global Affairs Canada. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, economic and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
CowaterSogema is excited to announce the opening of three International Short-Term Expert – Decentralisation and Local Governments sector positions for the upcoming Decentralisation for Development (D4D) in Zambia III module of the Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GiZ) Decentralisation and Local Governance programme in Zambia. The objective of the project is to improve service delivery and political participation at the local level. The objective of module III is to support national and local authorities as they implement the decentralisation process, especially fiscal decentralisation, in a more efficient, transparent, coordinated, citizen-oriented and pro-poor manner.
The International Short-Term Experts will be based in Lusaka, Choma, or Solwezi, and provide consultancy in one or more of the five priority areas described below.
The International Short-Term Expert will be responsible for one or more of the following priority areas:
- Coaching of key partners and monitoring of change processes GIS spatial mapping and the establishment of fiscal cadasters
- Organizational advice to municipalities on the improvement of delivery of public services
- Establishment of multi-stakeholder partnerships and collaboration with the private sector
- Service standards and standard procedures for the delivery of public services
- Undergraduate degree in Local Government Finance, Public Administration, Political Sciences, Planning or any other relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years experience working in the public sector on issues of public finance, public policy, decentralization, planning or basic public services.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in each priority area for which the applicant denotes expertise.
- Regional experience in Southern Africa.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills (speaking, writing and oral) in English;
- Effectively works in a team environment consisting of diverse skills sets and work styles;
- Capacity to think and work politically, building strategic relationships and identify creative ways to address challenges and issues and respond to opportunities;
- Excellent stakeholder management and relationship building skills;
- Professional experience with local governments in Zambia would be an advantage;
- Familiarity with the processes of German Development Cooperation, its modules and
if possible with GIZ programming and management approaches would be an advantage.
- German language skills would be an advantage.
Project’s specific conditions:
- This position is based in Zambia (up to 3 person-months).
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.
About the OrganizationCowaterSogema is a global leader in management consulting services, focusing on developing and emerging economies. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. As Canada’s largest international development consulting firm, CowaterSogema has developed a reputation of excellence for our strong ability to work with clients and stakeholders to provide leading-edge solutions and services tailored to the needs and challenges faced by developing and transitional countries. Our firm possesses internationally recognized and award-winning experience at the policy, program and project levels, developing and managing major projects as well as undertaking studies, sector reviews, evaluations, and training and communications activities.
CowaterSogema is a global company with its headquarters in Ottawa, Canada, an office in Montreal, Canada, an office in Pretoria, South Africa (CowaterSogema South Africa) and operations in Paris, France (CowaterSogema Europe). Additionally, the company currently operates project offices worldwide including in Burkina Faso, Mali, Malawi, Cameroon, South Sudan, Mozambique, Zambia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Indonesia, Jordan, Peru, Honduras, Barbados etc.