Name of project:
Drought Resilience Programme in Northern Kenya (DRPNK), KfW
The programme objective is:
Drought resilience and climate change adaptive capacities of the pastoral and agro‐pastoral production systems and livelihoods in selected areas of Turkana and Marsabit County are strengthened on a sustainable basis by expanding and rehabilitating relevant infrastructure.
The tasks of the team leader include :
Provide general management and oversight of the project results and measures in accordance with the approved log frame and time schedule
Identify specific targets and verifiable indicators based on the existing logframe in consultation with the beneficiary and KfW, and monitor progress and performance
Prepare the Inception Report, the annual work plans/operational plans and reports
Assist in procuring works, goods and consulting services according to agreed procedures
Manage the disposition fund including assessment of disbursement claims
Work together with international, national and local stakeholders to develop appropriate approaches on implementing the project
Link project measures with the experiences and other ongoing activities supported by German Technical Cooperation
Carry out the technical and contractual supervision of project personnel and subcontractors
Act as local primary point of contact of the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation and the various cooperation partners
- Postgraduate university degree in agro-economy or a related discipline
- At least 10 years of practical professional experience in the sector
- Experience as team leader preferably in long-term assignments
- Proven track record in areas such as integrated rural development, agriculture in dry areas, land use planning, participatory approaches, community development, natural resource management, land use techniques, education, health, etc.
- Strong background in management and financial administration of development projects
- Work experience preferably in East African countries with similar socio-economic conditions
- Previous work in African dry land ecosystems and/or with pastoral communities would be a strong asset (e.g. related to water infrastructure for humans and livestock, rangelands and fodder production, livestock marketing, access to rural markets)
- Professional experience with donor-funded projects; specific knowledge of German Financial Cooperation would be a strong asset
The project will support the County Governments of Turkana and Marsabit.
Project start date: 4 th trimester 2018
Project end date: 4 th trimester 2024
Duration: 6 years
If you are interested in this position and fully meet the listed criteria please send your updated CV in KfW format enclosed at your earliest convenience.
About the Organization
Specialists in developing and transition economies
GOPA is Germany’s leading development consultancy and member of one of the strongest consulting groups in Europe.
Since its founding in 1965, GOPA Consultants has successfully implemented over 3,000 management and training projects for national and international financing agencies as well as private industry in more than 130 countries.
Our reputation for excellence and efficiency is built on almost half a century of planning and implementing technical assistance projects in developing and transition economies.
GOPA invests in its personnel through regular professional training and intensive exchange of experience with leading German and European institutions. In particular, the majority of its staff members has been trained in EC/EDF procedures and procurement rules, and GIZ's management model "Capacity WORKS".
The net result: extensive and proven global expertise in development issues, and access to a qualified network of local specialists and partner organisations around the world.