FHI 360 is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of International Telecommunications Competitions Expert for a four year program under a Threshold Program Grant Agreement (Grant) to be signed by the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) and the Government of Togo (GoT) with the objective of reducing poverty through economic growth in Togo. The Togo Threshold Program will focus on the Increased Competition, Independent Regulation, and Expanded Access in the ICT Sector Project (the “ICT Project”). The International Telecommunications Competition Expert will provide overall guidance on legislation, regulations, and strategies for increasing the diversity of telecommunications companies and business models in Togo, such that affordable Internet and GSM access and services are extended to the entire population.
The position will be based in Lomé and is contingent upon approval and availability of funds.
- Design and management of activities stimulating the attention and participation of outside investors and telecommunications companies in the Togo telecommunications market
- Provide GoT and the private sector with analyses of potential solutions for the profitable provision of Internet and/or GSM services in marginalized areas
- Provide expert guidance and suggestions on the shared management, ownership, and/or control of the West Africa Cable System (WACS) landing station
- Design and manage study tours of GoT and Togolese private sector leaders to other African countries
- Conceptualize and implement trainings for GoT on competition and technological innovation
- Relevant master’s Degree or its international equivalent from an accredited university/college strongly preferred
- At least eight years of progressively responsible experience in their career, with advanced expertise analyzing, supporting, or participating in entrepreneurial activities in Africa, especially Francophone Africa
- Substantial experience working in, or partnering with, private sector telecommunications companies
- Strong knowledge of the important trends in Internet and GSM access in Africa
- Substantial experience working on introduction of new Internet and/or GSM services
- Knowledge of the various connectivity initiatives of USAID, DFID, ITU-D, GSMA, WEF’s Internet for All initiative, Facebook, Microsoft, IFC
- Knowledge of existing investment facilities that are available for last-mile connectivity initiatives, investment project preparation facilities, and deal-sharing platforms and initiatives
- Experience analyzing governmental regulations from a perspective of whether they encourage or stymie competition, particularly within the telecommunications sector
- Professional French speaking ability preferred
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.