Invest Africa is a DFID funded programme that seeks to realise significantly increased FDI flows to the manufacturing sector stimulating inclusive economic transformation that delivers high-value added manufacturing capacity that generates new jobs and wider increases in goods and services production in 4-7 focus countries. The initial countries of focus during the first 7 year phase will be Kenya, Ethiopia and Rwanda and Uganda. The programme could later be scaled up to include Ghana, Nigeria and Tanzania. The Invest Africa programme intends to achieve the above outcome through the following components:
- Investor Engagement: Work with international companies (investors and buyers) to build a significant pipeline of investments to ‘kick-start’ manufacturing in Africa, while ensuring that the FDI attracted benefits local economies as widely as possible and does not cause harm;
- Government/Political Engagement: Work with African Governments to support the attraction and retention of more and stronger FDI in key manufacturing sectors and raising the political profile of the importance of manufacturing FDI in Africa;
- Technical Assistance: Provide flexible technical assistance to increase investment in manufacturing, tailored to individual country needs (e.g. support to: diagnostics to identify priority problems; investment promotion agencies; local content units; trade facilitation; special economic zones, skills, etc); and
- Coordination, Influencing and Knowledge Management: Coordinate with and influence relevant partners and programmes to further the overall Invest Africa programme objectives and consolidate and share knowledge within the programme.
The Country Leader will be part of the Programme Management Team, reporting to the Programme Director and will be responsible for driving all the program activities in the respective country.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Drive their country specific Transaction facilitation services and Technical Assistance model drawing resources from centre (Invest Africa PMU based in Nairobi);
- Engage and build relationships with relevant stakeholders in-Country and support the attraction and retention of more and stronger FDIs in key manufacturing sectors;
- Provide up to date Performance evaluation and assessments, trouble shoot and ensure that the program activities happen as intended;
- Lead on the country investment strategy – specifically around sub-sector prioritisation, lead on agreeing Technical Assistance requirements with stakeholders, lead on overview of common themes regarding Transaction Advisory and Technical Assistance;
- Responsible and accountable for tailoring investor journey and resultant Technical Assistance requirements to their country;
- Responsible and accountable for managing all aspects of investor visits in-country, picking-up at handover from Local Government team, and supporting advocating for the country to lead generation and conversion of deal;
- Responsible and accountable for ensuring that resourcing and support requested from centre (Invest Africa PMU) is provided as required;
- Responsible and accountable for ensuring appropriate engagement with central team.
Qualifications and experience
- At least 10 years working experience in international projects
- At least 4 years of those spent in projects in developing countries lasting more than 2 years and managing teams of 10 or more including local and international staff
- Managed at least one project for an external government client for at least 2 years.
- Must -have had extensive contact with a range of multinational enterprises and a good network of contacts with them and within the Country, understanding of the main players around investment promotion services.
- Developing country experience and donor project experience
- Being a National of the country they wish to lead
- Being an expert- generalist with wide knowledge on investment promotion activities across key sectors in the country.
A fantastic opportunity to work on exciting development programmes across Africa
Continuous learning and development.
Exposure to multi-disciplinary client service teams.
Unrivalled space to grow and be innovative.
*Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted*If your career aspirations match this exciting opportunity, please forward your application letter and CV giving details of your qualifications and experience quoting Country Leader- IDAS-07/2017 on or before 15th December 2017 to email@example.com
About the Organization
KPMG is a leading provider of professional services, which include audit, tax and advisory. KPMG’s International Development Advisory Services (IDAS) unit is based in Nairobi, Kenya and has adopted a pan-African approach to development work, employing full-time experienced development experts within the KPMG Africa team at our headquarters in Nairobi, together with a network of champions across Sub-Saharan Africa.
KPMG’s IDAS coordinates projects throughout Africa to ensure consistency of delivery, results and development impact. Our country and programme experience in Africa is extensive and we pride ourselves as a leading service provider to development initiatives and delivering impact and results using innovative solutions. Our diverse team includes people of different professional backgrounds and nationalities, and this mix is fundamental to our success.
KPMG’s IDAS manages several programmes in various sectors which include climate, resilience, agribusiness and health. Some of these programmes have activities across Africa and South/South East Asia. KPMG IDAS is proposing to be the overall programme manager of the Invest Africa programme, a £50–70 million programme during the first 7 year phase. KPMG would anticipate establishing an Invest Africa Programme Management Unit in Nairobi, to deliver on DFID’s requirements. KPMG would sub-contract a number of organisations to strengthen its ability to deliver on the programme’s requirements.