Scope of Work
B2B Investment Advisor
Period of Performance:
On/about March 15, 2019 – August 31, 2019, with option to extend
Place of Performance:
Milan, Italy; other, as needed
Total Level of Effort (LOE):
Up to 115 days, with option to extend
Proposed Daily Rate:
INVEST Afghanistan Team Lead
In April 2017, the Office of Private Capital and Microenterprise (PCM) at the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) launched a co-creation process for private sector partners to collaboratively design approaches to blend government funding with private sector capital to improve development impact.
In September 2017 following this co-creation process USAID awarded a contract to DAI as the INVEST apex partner to set up a buy-in mechanism that would allow USAID missions and Washington D.C. offices flexible access to a wide set of partners to support activities aimed at catalyzing private investment.
Afghanistan Buy-In – Phase 2 (post-Mumbai)
USAID/Afghanistan seeks to unlock the potential of private capital to drive inclusive growth. Increasingly, private investors and businesses are looking to emerging markets for better returns and new market opportunities. Specifically, USAID can leverage its resources – grants, technical assistance, guarantees, and convening power – to help raise awareness of investment opportunities, lower transaction costs, and mitigate the risk of investments that generate positive social, economic, and environmental impact.
Following the 2nd Passage 2 Prosperity event, held in Mumbai in September 2018, INVEST will be working with USAID/Afghanistan to promote increased economic integration of Afghanistan with Milan through encouraging trade and investment. The event aims to advance trade integration by strengthening economic ties between Afghanistan and Milan through partnerships, including business-to-business meetings and consumer sales.
USAID expects to have Indian and Italian businesses, investors, government officials, members of the media, and organizers attend the Milan event. In parallel to the business component, USAID and INVEST will conduct a series of seminars, roundtable discussions, and presentations on topics including gemstones, carpets, textiles (raw materials/cashmere as well as limited finished product such as blankets), saffron/spices, and marble. USAID currently has a few implementing partners in place that are helping the Mission prepare for the show, but a mechanism such as INVEST is needed to further support technical areas that is not in the scope of these other partners, such as business to business match making and identification and engagement with potentially interested investors.
INVEST seeks a consultant to support the Mission in creating cross border business deals with products and investments before, during and immediately after the Milan Investment Show.
The consultant will be responsible for directly engaging investors and buyers in the target sector identified by INVEST, the USAID/Afghanistan mission and scope of the Investment event as outlined in the annex. The Consultant will be responsible for working with the INVEST sector experts and identified set of Afghan enterprises to connect them with potential buyers and investors in Milan. The consultant will identify and engage potential buyers and investors in Milan but also in the region and worldwide as applicable. The consultant will facilitate matchmaking and potential business relationships in advance of the July 2019 Milan Investment Show. The consultant will promote the attendance of buyers and investors at the trade show and will follow up on these potential linkages afterwards to ensure feasibility and execution. Tasks will include:
- Work planning – in coordination with the Mission, INVEST Afghanistan Team Leader, the other sector experts, and DAI INVEST team members, the Consultant will contribute to the development and refining of the 6-month work plan outlining the activities, deliverable schedule, and anticipated outcomes. The Consultant will contribute inputs from their focus sector, both technical and operational (travel schedule, budget, etc.), to the work plan in coordination with the Team Leader and their counterparts at the Mission. They will perform remote work and desk reviews to feed into the work plan to include draft investor/buyer engagement plans, calendars, and anticipated travel to any relevant countries;
- Stakeholder Engagement – In coordination with the Team Leader and Mission counterparts, the Consultant will engage directly with various private sector stakeholders in their focus sector to identify Italian and European investors and businesses with strong potential investment and trade collaboration. The Consultant will also identify and engage with potential buyers and investors – of primary or final products/services – within the region and worldwide who are interested in investing in Afghanistan and the region but who are deterred due to the market barriers that exist in Afghanistan and the region;
- Trade and Export Support - The Consultant will conduct desk research and key informant interviews to identify the main constraints facing these firms in exporting their products/services outside of Afghanistan and, if applicable, will help to create a roadmap for firms to navigate trade and export regulations for their respective sectors;
- Coordination and Outreach – Support the INVEST Afghanistan Team Leader and the TSS implementing partner in developing messaging and conducting outreach to potential attendees to ensure a vibrant and dynamic event;
- Trade Show – Identify participants and develop questions for roundtables and panels for the event as needed. Prepare each participant to understand their role, the schedule, and expectations from the INVEST team (respectful conduct, productive contributions with proposed solutions, brainstorming with other stakeholders, etc.) to ensure that the panels and roundtables are effective and useful and not simply a recitation of the problems that exist. In addition to the formal presentations/discussions, the Consultant will be responsible for facilitating and moderating conversations, exchanges, and negotiations;
- Follow-up and tracking – The Consultant will also be responsible for tracking each matchmaking relationship following the trade show to confirm whether any transactions or investments are made as a result of the project and, if not, why they did not take place for learning and reporting purposes.
- Landscape Assessment and Evaluation
- Inputs for weekly reporting by Team Leader
- Monthly Reports
- Final Report
The consultant will report to the INVEST Afghanistan Team Leader or their designee, who will be responsible for technical supervision and acceptance of all deliverables.
- Master’s degree and 5 years’ experience or Bachelor’s degree and 10 years’ experience in relevant field;
- Demonstrated experience in market facilitation and investor matchmaking;
- Demonstrated experience working with Corporate Investments in Milan;
- Experience working with private sector;
- Experience working with both donors and investors;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, and the ability to multi-task;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and as a part of a complex team;
- Ability to prioritize effectively in an environment where prudent judgement in essential;
- Experience working with USAID.
- Direct corporate investment experience in emerging markets;
- Experience working with Afghanistan.
Please send your CV to Nazia_salam@dai.com. Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.