The Investment Officer role is to execute project transactions and identify opportunities to ensure the effective development and increased number of bankable projects for Africa50 PD.
- Work across all the infrastructure sectors, with a focus on the power sector
- Participate in the development of a strong pipeline opportunities through anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge
- Execute A50’s project development investments with a strong focus on achieving bankable projects
- Develop a thorough understanding of the power sector, including market major operators and technologies
- Participate and/or lead negotiations of investment documents, with sponsors, lenders, and public authorities
- Have a good understanding and the ability to structure investments
- Have a good understanding of project and concession financing, policy issues, license conditions, tariff regimes
- Prepare project-related documents for internal and external audiences
- Build and maintain strong relationships with local/regional/global/infrastructure companies, banking and multilateral partners, suppliers and government officials to further develop the sector and specific investment opportunities
- Supervise investments in portfolio companies.
-6 to 10 years’ investment and industry experience in project development, investment and/or project finance in the power sector, PPP and IPP: power generation and distribution, renewables, hydropower, CCGT, etc. within:
- A utility / concessions company
- the project finance / infrastructure / power department of a Tier 1 international investment bank
- the infrastructure department in a Development Finance Institution
- the infrastructure / PPP department of a transaction / financial advisory firm
- An infrastructure private equity fund with exposure to early to mid-stage project development
-Hold a degree in Engineering
-Project management experience (certification a plus)
-Solid understanding of Concession, PPA, EPC, O&M contracts
-Demonstrated track record of at least 2 transactions in the power sector
-Awareness of the latest trends and developments in financing power infrastructures
- Positive attitude
- Indefatigable work ethic – this role will regularly require late nights/weekends/travel
- Self-starter. High initiative
- Clarity of thought and action
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Interest in Africa50’s mission, strategy and values
- Strong connection to Africa and intent to have Africa focused career
- Strong understanding of the power and utilities sectors, knowledge and understanding of the transport sector are a plus
- Strong understanding of PPP project structuring and project finance
- Strong business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively and identify potential business partners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English and French)
- Superb organizational and deal management capabilities.
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with sponsors, partners and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds; living experience in emerging countries is a plus
- Culturally sensitive and able to relate to people of diverse backgrounds
- Emerging markets experience
- Prior knowledge of African infrastructure and relationships in Africa are a plus
About the Organization
Africa50 is an infrastructure investment platform that contributes to Africa's growth by developing and investing in bankable projects, catalyzing public sector capital, and mobilizing private sector funding.
Africa50 has raised over US$850 million so far from 27 African governments, the African Development Bank, and institutional investors, and intends to reach a target capitalization of US$3 billion. It operates as a commercial financial institution, seeking to deliver an attractive return to its investors.
The Project Development department invests in early to late stage project development, typically acting as co-investor and strategic partner alongside lead sponsors and actively contributing to project development to bring them to financial close. The primary target sectors are energy and transport, with ICT and water infrastructure sectors also eligible for investment consideration.