Investor Engagement Expert, Asia: Commercial Agriculture for Smallholders and Agribusinesses (CASA) - Emerging Smallholder Facility
IMC Worldwide require an Investor Engagement Expert for the upcoming DfID CASA programme. The project will run for 5 years from October 2018 - October 2023.
CASA’s Emerging Smallholder Facility seeks to deepen and widen the smallholder impact of investments in large agribusinesses with significant smallholder networks.
Predominantly these investments will have been made by investors with development interests, such as Development Finance Institutions (DFIs), Impact Investors, NGO investors etc, but there is scope to engage with private equity and other forms of commercial investment too. The programme could work in any DFID footprint country, though we expect some countries to be shortlisted based on investors’ portfolios and whether agriculture factors into these portfolios.
The programme seeks to:
- Increase the smallholder impact of existing investments made by investors with development interests
- Raise investor expectations regarding the level of development impact that can be achieved from future investments
- Increase the provision of development impact technical assistance by investors with development interests
The programme will be expected to engage with investors and their invested agribusinesses, and design and tender advisory & agricultural development services focused on increasing smallholder impact. 60% of the TA is expected to be tendered to external TA providers, however up to 40% can be conducted internally.
Investor Engagement Expert - Asia
We are looking for an Expert that will act as first point of contact with DFIs, Impact Investors, fund managers to DFIs, and other investors (including private equity) that are making investments into agribusinesses with significant numbers of smallholder farmers in Asia. The programme will work across a range of DFID footprint countries in the region.
- Identifying and engaging with investors during the programme’s Investor Engagement Phase;
- Gaining access to invested agribusinesses with significant smallholder networks;
- Determining opportunities to increase the development impact that the agribusinesses have on their smallholder networks;
- Coordinating with the CASA management team & other Engagement Officers;
- Communicating the development and commercial case for providing development impact related technical assistance to investors & agribusinesses.
- Excellent contact book of DFI’s, Impact Investors and other investors that are investing in agribusinesses in Asia;
- Direct experience of investments in agribusinesses in Asia;
- Knowledge of the commercial investor landscape in Asia, as well as DFI;
- An agribusiness background with an understanding of the challenges & opportunities in the sector;
- Experience working with agribusinesses with significant smallholder networks.
This will be a part-time position for the duration of the 5-year programme. The role will require predominantly home-based work with travel to DfID target countries in Asia and IMC Worldwide’s offices in the United Kingdom.
Applications from candidates who are based in India, Nepal or Bangladesh would be especially welcome.
If the position is of interest, please submit your current CV for consideration to email@example.com with CASA – Investor Engagement Expert in the subject line. Please include details of your current availability, including how many days per week you could dedicate to the role and an indication of your daily fee rate. Please note the position is contingent on IMC being awarded the contract.
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
About the Organization
IMC Worldwide is currently working in more than 20 countries across Africa; South, South East and Central Asia; Eastern Europe; the Middle East; and the Caribbean, delivering specialist consulting services to central governments, donor organisations and private sector corporations in developing and transitional countries, in particular in relation to development, management and infrastructure. We work across a diverse range of sectors and disciplines bringing over 50 years' experience of working with government agencies, local authorities and with communities themselves to help address some of the most difficult development problems and barriers to poverty reduction. We work with all of the major international development agencies throughout the world including DFID, EU, EIB, EBRD, World Bank and ADB and are looking to expand our client base in the private sector and with Foundations.
Though our background is in the transport sector we provide a full range of professional consulting services including:
- Inclusive Growth.
- Disaster Preparedness and Reconstruction
- Organisational Change
- Economics and private sector development
- Project and Programme Management
- Environment, energy and climate change
- Resource centres and frameworks
- Governance and anti-corruption
- Road safety
- Infrastructure and engineering
- Monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Transport sector policy and planning