Project title: Support to the Secretariat of the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy
Brief description: The overall objective of the action is to develop, monitor and lead climate and sustainable energy action and diplomacy globally through the local level, and thereby support the implementation of the Paris Agreement together with the 2030 Agenda and its Sustainable Development Goals and other UN initiatives focused on climate change and cities.
The purpose of this project is to strengthen the impact and the coherence of the Global Covenant of Mayors initiative through increased support to and steering of the Global Secretariat, in partnership with current (Bloomberg Philanthropies) and possible other donor organisations funding the initiative in the future. This purpose should be achieved, by providing support to four areas of activities performed to various degrees by the GCoM Secretariat today. These activities will be referred to as “core activities” of the GCoM Secretariat. They will be funded by the European Commission through this tendered service contract. The term “non-core activities”, on the other hand, refers to GCoM Secretariat activities to be funded by Bloomberg Philanthropies or additional third-party donor organisations. The contractor will report to the contracting authority while being expected to cooperate closely with the staff employed by Bloomberg Philantropies to work on the Global Covenant initiative.
Results to be achieved:
- Result 1: Strong coherence, information-sharing and exchanges between Regional Covenants and the GCoM Secretariat
- Result 2: Development, implementation and monitoring of a GCoM communication action plan
- Result 3: Secure freely accessible, interoperable and fully backed-up data management, in line with EU standards and legislation, in order to ensure that Covenant Data is of good quality, accurate and regularly updated and allows assessing the initiative’s collective progress towards the Paris Agreement goals
- Result 4: Capacity-building and engagement of cities in priority countries, or in cities not currently serviced by any EU-funded Regional Covenant
Commencement date of the project: September 2020 (tentatively)
Duration of the assignment: minimum of 660 working days over 48 months
Qualifications and skills:
- University degree at in one of the following fields: IT development, data management, programming languages, engineering, or another relevant, directly related discipline to this assignment. Alternatively, secondary education diploma and 8 years of full-time proven relevant experience additional to the requested specific professional experience;
- At least a level of C1 in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages in written and oral communication in English.
General professional experience:
- Minimum 5 years full-time proven professional experience working as an expert in the fields of IT data management and platform development.
Specific professional experience:
- Minimum 2 years full-time proven professional experience in data collection, validation, conversion, analysis, communication and storage.