As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The Atlantic off the coast of Mauritania is one of the world’s most plentiful ocean fishing grounds. The export of fish and fish products is the primary source of income for a large part of Mauritania’s population, and the fisheries sector is the most important employer.
The aim of the GIZ project is to provide the local population, who are food insecure, with more fish products and to increase their income. The special initiative’s country package in Mauritania therefore focuses on achieving technical improvements in the traditional small-scale fishery fleet to enhance productivity. In addition, it also aims to set up an effective registration, licensing and monitoring system for controlled access to fish as a resource.
- Supporting advice to the local actors in the fisheries sector, such as Mauritania’s Ministry of Fisheries, fishery workers and their interest groups
- Assisting the implementation of the technical components of both projects, such as improving technical aspects of the traditional small-scale fishery fleet, developing hygiene standards and drawing up a sustainable management plan
- Supporting activities with other donors and implementing agencies in the fisheries sector (International Labour Organization, Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation, World Bank, EU)
- Organizing international and national conferences
- Supporting the project with administration
- A university degree in a relevant discipline such as agriculture, biology, fisheries or resource management
- First professional experience in projects in the context of international cooperation (IC) such as internships, consultancies etc.
- Knowledge of policy consulting
- Knowledge of the topic of sustainable fisheries management
- Experience of working in West Africa, preferably in Mauritania
- A professional manner and a sensitive approach to communication and advice
- Fluency in German and French, good command of English
Please note that we basically can only receive and process applications sent via our e-recruiting system. Should you not be able to do so, please contact the person named in the job advertisement.
To enable us to assess your existing skills and qualifications as part of our internal selection procedure, please complete the questionnaire on your competencies when you apply online.
After submitting an application, please check your spam/junk folder regularly for incoming messages, as emails from our e-recruiting system are treated as spam by some providers.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
About the Organization
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.