Expert category: Junior Non Key Expert
Position: External Audit
Adam Smith International is implementing an EU technical assistance project “Technical Assistance to Support Budget Support Operations, Somalia”. The areas of focus for technical assistance include building capacity for monitoring and reporting on Budget Support performance indicators, enhancing the capacity of the Office of the Accountant-General (AG) to improve PFM, cash management, enhancing the oversight capacity of the Office of the Auditor General, enhancing capacity of the Federal Parliament of Somalia to perform its legislative oversight role, and improving coordination with stakeholders. The project started in February 2019, and will run for 29 months until mid-2021.
This TOR is for an expert who possesses experience/expertise in the field of External Audit to work closely with the project’s Audit SKE (Senior Key Expert) and Office of the Auditor General of Somalia (OAGS), to provide technical assistance to support building capacity, competencies and procedures of the OAG for the effective conduct of its audit responsibilities.
The specific objective of this assignment is to support the OAG and work closely with the project SKE and Office of the Auditor General of Somalia (OAG), to provide technical assistance to support building capacity and, competencies of the OAGS staff in audit related matters. This includes deepening adoption of ISSAIs, and more specifically full adoption of the developed: (a) Compliance Audit Manual (CAM), and (b) Financial Audit Manual (FAM). Furthermore, to support implementation of the Audit Flow (computerised audit methodology) for the OAGS.
The expert will be responsible to the project Audit SKE and AG for providing technical guidance, training, capacity building and support to designated staff of the OAG and to assist in the effective implementation of the office’s work, including the following:-
- Providing in-house training to the rest of audit staff and deepening adoption of CAM & FAM;
- Providing training on Cash-basis IPSAS to all audit staff;
- Providing technical assistance to audit staff in carrying out any financial audits;
- Providing technical assistance, with the support of AFROSAI-E, in the use of audit flow (computerised audit methodology) for the OAGS;
- Providing technical assistance in planning for the forthcoming round of audits for the FY ending 31 December 2020 (both compliance, financial and project audits);
- Providing technical assistance to audit staff in carrying audits during the first quarter of 2021; and
- Undertake any other tasks related to the assignment’s successful implementation.
- An overall audit plan for the forthcoming round of audits for FY ending 31 December 2020. The plan should include different types of audits – compliance audits, financial audits, and project audits to be conducted in 2021 in accordance with ISSAI;
- An in-house training conducted on Cash-basis IPSAS;
- Progress report with the adoption and implementation of audit flow by audit staff;
- Any financial audits conducted unto the end of April 2021;
- Perform any other tasks relating to the assignment’s successful implementation;
- Any other reports as may be required from time to time by the Auditor General and the SKE; and
- End of assignment report - at the end of April 2021.
The work will take place between September/October 2020 and April 2021 in Mogadishu.
V. Qualification and skills:
The following qualifications and skills are mandatory: -
- A Degree or equivalent academic qualification (university or similar institution) in Public Administration, Accounting, Law, or equivalent professional qualification.
- Professional Accounting Qualification e.g. ACCA, CPA, CIPFA, or CIMA are highly desirable
- 5-7 years of professional audit experience with a SAI and or with a recognised accounting firm at audit manager level or equivalent.
- Demonstrable understanding of both ISSAIs and Cash basis IPSAS
- Demonstratable ICT literacy, particularly with computerised audit software.
V. Qualification and skills:
The following are additional essential skills: -
- Spoken and written fluency in English and Somali
- Good communications skills, being able to communicate effectively and diplomatically with a wide range of contacts, including public speaking skills
- Good judgement in dealing with complex and sensitive issues and ability to build relationships with multiple and diverse actors.
- Work experience in Somalia or region will be an advantage
- Similar experience in a developing or fragile country is essential.
VII. Work Place and Timing
The assignment will be performed in Mogadishu. The contract will be for a total of six months (or 150 person days) and scheduled to end on 30 April 2021. However, the first 30 days is the probationary period. Upon satisfactory performance during the probation period, the contract will be extended for 5 months.
The expert will report functionally to the OAG and BSP Audit SKE, and administratively to the Team Leader of the EU Budget Support Project.
Total Days requested for this approval:
150 days with extension subject to satisfactory performance.
September/October 2020 – April 2021
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a CV (no more than 2 pages) and short cover letter with subject headline “Junior NK Expert - BSP” to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortlisted applicants only will be contacted.
Deadline for applications has been extended to COB 12th August.
Adam Smith International is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to consider all applicants regardless of colour, race, religion, national origin, sex, age, physical or mental disability.
About the Organization
Adam Smith International is a global advisory company that works locally to transform lives by making economies stronger, societies safer, and governments more effective. We work on behalf of governments, foundations and companies that share our ambition to take on the big challenges facing the world. They come to us to develop strategies and to design, deliver and evaluate programmes that, in turn, stimulate growth, stability and good governance.
For nearly three decades in almost 100 countries, we have been working in partnership with governments, the private sector and civil society in countries at all stages of development.
Our core team of staff and technical experts, in multiple offices around the world, ensures the quality of delivery and high ethical standards that we and our clients require. We bring together a global network of specialist experts, who contribute their experience and know-how, where and when it is needed.
ASI is owned and operated by its employees. We are committed to corporate integrity and a triple bottom line of social, environmental and financial performance.