West Bank and Gaza / Palestine
36 months, provisional commencement date of project 15.1.2013
600 man days
ICON-INSTITUT is expecting terms of reference for the EU funded project “Technical assistance to improve and develop the social protection system in the Occupied Palestinian Territories through partnership planning and institutional capacity building” .
The envisaged project builds on the EU’s sustained role as a key partner in promoting economic and social development in the West Bank and Gaza. In addition to its engagement in policy dialogue related to social protection, the EU has provided fiscal support to ensure the regular payment of social allowances to the poorest Palestinians as well as technical assistance to upgrade the capacity of the PA Ministry of Social Affairs to meet international standards and best practices in the area of social policy and poverty reduction. The envisaged technical assistance will build on this long-standing cooperation to provide support to the PA in pursuing reforms to enhance the efficiency and sustainability of social protection policies and social services to poor and vulnerable populations, notably (i) to strengthen the capacity of the PA to design, manage, monitor and evaluate social protection strategies and policies; (ii) to develop the capacity of the Ministry of Social Affairs to plan, manage, deliver and monitor social protection services with increased community and private sector involvement; and (iii) to improve the functioning of the Ministry of Social Affairs at central and local levels.
Qualifications and skills
- A Masters or University degree in social sciences or other relevant discipline
- Excellent communication skills
- Understanding of the Middle Eastern culture
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
- Knowledgde of Arabic would be a strong asset
General professional experience
- At least 2 years working experience in Middle Eastern countries;
- At least 12 years of professional experience working in the field of social protection (social insurance and social assistance) preferably 15, with a demonstrated in-depth experience in international co-operation programmes, in particular similar EU funded projects.
Specific professional experience
- Minimum of 5 but preferably 7 years of experience in the management and organisation of social protection reforms (both social assistance and social insurance) in transition countries
- Proven expereince in policy advice
- Proven expereince in capacity building and training activities for public bodies