Job DescriptionJob Summary:
Plans, executes, and finalizes projects according to strict deadlines and within budget. Acquires resources and coordinates the efforts of team members and external clients in order to deliver projects according to plan. Manages and defines the project’s objectives and oversee quality control throughout the completion of the project(s) life cycle. Creates work plans based on goals and targets, and implement evidence based interventions in a one or more multi -sector areas, as well as new technologies and practices. Collaborates with other sectors in order to integrate work plans, budgets and multi-sector interventions, which are essential for the success and sustainability of the project.
Requires proficiency to:
· Drive forward a research and learning agenda on civil society and media topics.
· Review research proposals and critique research methods and resource requests/team composition, and provide constructive criticism about research methods.
· Collaboratively design and structure research projects and deliverables so they are demonstrating progress and producing useful information.
· Coordinate knowledge management and learning activities across multiple projects.
· Design and oversee implementation of M&E plans across multiple projects.
· Familiarity and ability to incorporate principles of design thinking and design research
· Develop a clear understanding of research projects and efforts by research teams to be able to communicate them so they are salient to USAID and its strategic objectives.
· Broker/connect related teams, individuals, concepts and ideas both internally and externally and create conditions for knowledge sharing and ideation.
· Stay organized and familiar with multiple and concurrent contract and deliverable schedules, team progress, and implementation challenges sufficient to be able to communicate to client progress and address issues.
· Monitor ongoing, related research and knowledge product development efforts both internally within FHI 360 and externally at USAID and among the development community to avoid duplicating work and leverage other efforts.
· Plan public and internal events to share learning and findings, gather feedback and disseminate useful products.
· Design and oversee trainings and workshops to orient, educate and equip practitioners with useful tools and approaches developed through the research and design process.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Manages and oversees the development of projects from initiation to completion.
- Manages capacity building project staff in coordinating and managing the implementation of project activities, delivering quality and accountability.
- Provide guidance and monitoring for project staff, ensuring clarity over project plans and priorities and encouraging effective team work.
- Develops best practices and tools for project execution and management.
- Defines project scope, goals, and deliverables that support business goals and strategic vision of management.
- Develops and delivers project plans, documentation, training, presentations and budget proposals to management and staff.
- Identifies and resolves project issues and implements improvement plans to ensure project stays on schedule and within budget.
- Coaches, mentors, and manages project team to ensure quality, efficiency and compliance with project and company standards/policies.
- Builds, develops, and grows partnerships vital to the success of the project.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Working knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with project management, process development and execution.
- Strong knowledge of project management software and other technologies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated project and personnel management skills.
- Ability to influence, motivates, and collaborates with others.
- Ability to adapt and resolve problems/issues to bring project to completion.
- Decisions and actions have serious implications with delays in project schedules, operations and may affect overall business activities.
- Problems are complex and require analysis of situations and data with evaluation of various factors.
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies to select methods and techniques to obtain results.
- Manages staff and external project members to achieve goals and vision of project from initiation to completion.
- Coordinates project plans, budgets, training and resources with management to achieve strategic goals.
- Typically reports to a Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent • Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field.
- Project Management (PM) Certification preferred.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typically requires 5-8 years of project management experience.
- Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English; fluent in host country language as appropriate.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO).
Technology to be Used:
- Typical office environment. Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.