Chemonics seeks a Lab Team Lead to join a dynamic and growing team for the USAID Global Health Supply Chain Program – Procurement and Supply Management Project (GHSC-PSM). GHSC-PSM is the primary vehicle through which USAID procures health commodities, provides technical assistance to improve partner countries’ management of supply chains, and collaborates with key international stakeholders to support global health initiatives. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world!
The Lab Team lead will report directly to the Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) Director, and will work in collaboration with the Task Order 1 (TO1) Director to provide oversight and technical support to the Laboratory Advisors in their work with the GHSC-PSM Country Programs headquarters and field office teams, as well as the Global Supply Chain Team, to support country needs for products and systems strengthening. The oversight comprises areas including forecasting and supply planning, order reviews, procurement validation, technical assessments and evaluations, workshop training, conference presentations, and publications. The Team Lead will also work with the HIV/AIDS Task Order (TO1) Director and Strategic Engagement team to support collaboration with donors, stakeholders, and implementing partners on lab technical and programmatic issues globally and in the field.
As one of the Health Systems Strengthening leads, s/he will work with and through his/her direct reports and key field office staff, and in managing GHSC-PSM communities of practices and supporting technical working groups (TWGs) co-chaired by the TO1 Director and USAID, to support lab across all country programs through:
Strategy: setting and refreshing global technical strategies on system strengthening for the GHSC-PSM project; assisting the country teams to develop their own technical strategies and informing work plans in line with the global strategies.
Implementation: providing technical assistance, tools, training, skills transfer, and project management expertise to help country teams implement technical activities.
Monitoring: ongoing engagement with the country teams to monitor technical progress toward long term goals and providing additional guidance/support as required.
Thought Leadership: curating, creating, disseminating, and publishing technical knowledge.
S/he will capture and share the ongoing work of GHSC-PSM, including lessons learned, and stay apprised of best and promising practices in local, regional, and international for dissemination across programs.
- Ensure that GHSC-PSM technical assistance builds country capacity to ensure access to quality laboratory commodities, with a focus on viral load scale-up in support of 90-90-90
- Work closely with the field office to develop and validate supply plans for laboratory commodities
- Mange the funding and software development cycles for the ForLAB and LabEQIP softeare platforms
- Organize and lead the GHSC-PSM-USAID laboratory meetings and other working groups, as appropriate
- Support the Lab Advisors in the technical advisory committees for ForLab and LabEQIP and in implementation of activities under the TO1 Core Workplan under which the sub-contracts for these software tools sit
- Represent GHSC-PSM at international meetings and on expert committees
- As needed, provide technical assistance to country office staff and governments and other country stakeholders, in the following GHSC-PSM laboratory-related activities: forecasting and supply planning; local procurement of commodities; product selection; importation; warehousing; distribution; quality assurance; equipment maintenance; and monitoring and evaluation (M&E)
- Support countries in the design, operation, and M&E of supply chains responsible for the provision of laboratory commodities
- Work closely with the lab staff in field office to keep them apprised of technical developments in the fields of lab and support their procurement questions and issues
- Work closely with the Client Relations and Source teams on the Global Supply Chain (GSC) Team to ensure timely, appropriate procurement of commodities
- Work closely with country PMUs to develop technical assistance activities funded through USAID missions
- Support the conduct of regular reviews of all laboratory orders coming to the GSC Team
- Support the HSS laboratory advisors and participate as needed to ensure appropriate analyses regarding the pricing of laboratory commodities
- Participate on the commodity councils for laboratory products
- Establish GHSC-PSM laboratory supply chain standards and methodologies
- Create, lead, and support “Communities of Practice” on laboratory supply chain best practice
- Collect, create, and disseminate information on innovations, best practices, and positive outcomes in laboratory logistics
- Contribute to or write GHSC-PSM reports, articles, and technical documents
- Supervise the Laboratory advisors
- Respond to ad hoc requests from USAID/Washington
- Master’s degree (MBA/MPH/MS) plus minimum 8 years of programmatic, medical, or clinical laboratory technology experience and/or systems design, implementation, and M&E of supply chain systems at the country level; or Bachelor’s degree plus minimum 10 years of programmatic, medical or clinical laboratory technology experience and/or systems design, implementation, and M&E of supply chain systems at the country level
- Experience working in clinical laboratory services and experience with tests, equipment, reagents, and techniques required for the diagnosis and monitoring of at least two of the three technical areas (HIV, TB, and/ or Malaria) required
- Experience with stock management, quantification, procurement, or supply chain management tasks related to lab reagents, commodities, or other health commodities required
- Experience working with global partners and countries in assessing and designing improvements and technical guidance on laboratory systems required
- Experience managing laboratory commodities and instrument maintenance strongly preferred
- Strong analytical and statistical aptitude
- Experience working in resource constrained countries
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A proven ability to work as part of a team and to be self-managing
- Proficient in Excel, word processing, and presentation applications
- Experience with national-level laboratory organizational structure (laboratory network), understanding of ongoing developments in the field of laboratory supplies and technology at the country level strongly preferred
- Experience with statistics software (SAS, Epi Info, SPSS) preferred
- Willingness to travel and work abroad in less developed countries for at least 4 to 8 weeks per year
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Proficiency in English required; French or Spanish proficiency preferred
Apply through our Career Center at https://chu.tbe.taleo.net/chu02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CHEMONICS&cws=1&rid=3333 by August 20th 2019. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics. Military veterans, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data.