Labor Market Expert (Demand Side)
Rapid Study of Workforce Value Chain,
Performance Management Support Contract (PERFORM), Pakistan
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
In May 2015, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded a five (5)-year contract to Management Systems International (MSI) to provide performance management support to USAID-sponsored development programs throughout Pakistan. The Performance Management Support Contract (PERFORM) serves as a centralized management support mechanism that provides services in (1) monitoring, (2) evaluation, (3) assessment, and (4) learning support. PERFORM provides data and information to help USAID/Pakistan project managers improve results through better implementation, design, and learning, enabling it to better target its programming and achieve its goals and objectives .
**Please note: Only citizens of Pakistan are eligible for this position. **
MSI is seeking a labor market expert to conduct a demand-side analysis of Pakistan’s labor market. The findings from the study will help guide USAID/Pakistan’s programming in workforce development over the next three (3) to five (5) years. The demand-side analysis will identify the sectors, and types of jobs within the sectors, that present the greatest opportunities for youth employment; the skills and qualifications required; and the approximate number of positions expected to be available. It will examine workforce development needs of these sectors; identify opportunities for USAID to partner with public and private sector organizations for workforce development in these sectors; and identify challenges these organizations may have in delivering workforce development programs. The study will examine opportunities in the formal and informal, and traditional and emerging sectors in Pakistan and the UAE.
The study will draw from review and analysis of existing data and reports as well as interviews with key workforce development stakeholders. The assessment is expected to begin on or about end of May 2018 and will finish in the beginning of September 2018.The anticipated level of effort for the labor market expert is approximately 35-40 days. The team will include a team leader, sector experts, research assistants, and other support as necessary.
- Review and synthesize existing reports and studies related to the labor market in Pakistan.
- Develop discussion guides for interviews, conduct the interviews, and maintain detailed notes.
- Participate in a team planning workshop in Islamabad to finalize the assessment design.
- Draft the demand-side analysis section of the final report.
- Collaborate with the rest of the team to integrate the demand-side analysis into the larger report.
- Contribute to a debriefing session with USAID/Pakistan.
- Undertake other tasks required for the successful completion of the study.
- Minimum master’s degree (in labor economics or other relevant discipline), or equivalent, in a relevant field and at least seven (7) years of professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience analyzing demand for labor.
- Experience designing protocols for and conducting key informant interviews.
- Able to work effectively as a member of an assessment team operating under strict deadlines to complete the assignment.
- Experience conducting similar analyses from document review.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Able to produce high quality products and deliver them on time.
- Experience working with USAID preferred, but not necessary.
*Position will be filled on a rolling basis*
Candidates that have a real or potential conflict of interest in this evaluation will not be considered for this assignment. MSI will require a written statement to this effect before formal engagement on this assignment. Conflict of interest in this context includes, but is not limited to: close and/or family relations with the individuals that are related to the project, financial interest in the implementing organization(s) or grantees, current or previous experience with the project being evaluated or the USAID requesting office, etc.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.