Labor Relations and Social Accountability Specialist, The Responsible Recruitment Project
Winrock International is recruiting applicants for the position of Labor Relations and Social Accountability Specialist for an anticipated US Department of Labor-funded Responsible Recruitment Project in Malaysia. The project-level objective is to reduce forced labor and human trafficking in the recruitment of workers in the palm oil industry.
In support of this objective, the project will focus on achieving four outcomes: improved understanding of the nature of forced labor and human trafficking in the recruitment of workers; improved company-led approaches to address forced labor and human trafficking in the recruitment process; improved compliance with recruitment policies and procedures by third-party recruiters; and increased action on promoting responsible recruitment policies and practices among private sector actors.
The responsibilities, duties, and qualifications are described in the attached position description. Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
The annual salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits.
Applicants should go to https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=2053487 and submit a current resume and cover letter referencing The Responsible Recruitment Project Labor Relations and Social Accountability Specialist by July 13, 2018. Qualified Malaysian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Winrock would like to thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted.
POSITION TITLE: Labor Relations and Social Accountability Specialist, The Responsible Recruitment Project
DEPARTMENT: Civil Society & Education
REPORTS TO: Project Director
The Labor Relations and Social Accountability Specialist will be directly responsible for providing technical support in fostering mutually beneficial, results-driven, and sustainable partnership engagements between and among the private sector and recruitment stakeholders working in the palm oil industry as well as with government, civil society organizations and other partners critical to the achievement of the project’s four (4) major outcomes.
The Labor Relations and Social Accountability Specialist is responsible for policy advocacy, and accountable partnership engagements primarily with the private sector and recruitment stakeholders working in the palm oil industry. S/he will establish strategies for engaging the private sector and the recruitment stakeholders in jointly addressing gaps and applying good practices in meeting internationally-recognized labor standards and in implementing corporate social responsibility and accountability systems leading to the reduction of forced labor and human trafficking in the palm oil industry.
She/he will lead collaborative policy advocacy initiatives, develop and implement a communication plan with other relevant sectors, primarily the government at national and local levels, civil society organizations who all have a stake in the reduction of forced labor and human trafficking in the country, and specifically in the palm oil industry.
- Analyze findings and program recommendations from the project’s pre-situational analysis or baseline study, culling out strategies for collaboration and engagement of the private sector and recruitment stakeholders in the palm oil industry
- Develop and implement a partnership engagement plan, spelling out critical capacity development milestones and policy advocacy outcomes within a time-bound plan of action agreed by both the private sector and recruitment stakeholders toward achieving a progressive and measurable change in the supply chain’s social compliance program and in the enforcement of internationally-recognized labor standards by recruitment stakeholders and other actors in the palm oil industry
- Link the plan of action to the national government’s development agenda for the country and in meeting its international commitments in promoting justice and human rights specifically demonstrated by progressive actions toward the prevention of forced labor and human trafficking
- Formulate a communication plan to highlight positive changes achieved by the project, highlighting socially accountable actions and best practices of private companies and recruitment stakeholders in meeting labor and industry standards, thus increasing their visibility and improving their overall public image
- Working with the Research, Monitoring and Learning Officer, lead in applying project learnings in improving private sector and recruitment stakeholders time-bound plan of action and make adjustments to effect better outcomes
- Other duties as assigned
Successful candidates will have strong legal expertise in labor standards implementation; policy advocacy, communication, training and capacity development, and technical expertise and experience in working with private sector and recruitment stakeholders and other partners in developing and implementing corporate social responsibility ethos and compliance systems specifically in the palm oil industry
Specific experience and specialization on issues related to labor recruitment, forced labor and human trafficking, or other internationally-recognized labor standards is strongly desired.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in law, social policy, relevant social science discipline, labor and management relations. Master’s degree would be a distinct asset, or a bachelor’s plus 5 years of additional experience in working with private sector and recruitment stakeholders, government and civil society actors in the palm oil industry
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience implementing initiatives with the private sector in the area of corporate social responsibility or private sector supply chain social compliance program, preferably in Southeast Asia. Expertise working with labor enforcement and labor recruitment systems and stakeholders at all levels
- Experience in, and knowledge of international laws and conventions governing forced labor and human trafficking and industry standards relevant to the palm oil industry
- Experience working in Southeast Asia is strongly preferred.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge in Bahasa Malaysia is recommended.
- Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet (preferably Microsoft Access and Excel), and presentation software (Microsoft PowerPoint).