The Indo-Pacific Centre for Health Security (CHS) was established in 2017 to implement the Australian Government’s Health Security Initiative for the Indo-Pacific Region. The Initiative, which is funded through Australia’s overseas aid program, aims to inform evidence-based planning, help prevent avoidable epidemics, strengthen early detection capacity, and support rapid, effective national and international outbreak responses. It does this by accelerating research on new drugs and diagnostics, expanding partnerships at the national, regional and global level to strengthen human and animal health systems, and deepening people-to-people linkages that build national and regional health security capacity.
In 2020 CHS has played a key role in Australia’s response to the regional impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. Commencing in 2021, Australia is assisting 18 countries to roll out the COVID-19 vaccine through the VAX Taskforce.
The CHS supports countries in Southeast Asia (Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, the Philippines, Timor-Leste and Vietnam) and the Pacific (Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu and small island nations such as Tuvalu, Tonga and Kiribati).
Cardno International Development is supporting the implementation of several activities delivered as part of the initiative across the Indo Pacific and Southeast Asia.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Adviser - Laboratory Scientist/Senior Laboratory Technician (RT-PCR) will undertake the following activities in Vanuatu for a period of 1 year:
- Provide advice and direct support to the staff and management of the public health laboratory in Vanuatu on the implementation of “open” reverse transcription real-time PCR (RT-PCR).
- Undertake refresher training in laboratory techniques such as pipetting.
- Provide support and training in laboratory infection prevention and control (IPC).
- Support and mentor laboratory staff through remote training delivered by the Doherty Institute and the Pacific Community (SPC) for the establishment of RT-PCR, and assess staff performance against competencies.
- Assist the Government of Vanuatu and the staff and management of the laboratory with developing and updating relevant laboratory protocols and strengthening laboratory quality management systems and information management as it pertains to RT-PCR.
- Provide advice to the Government of Vanuatu and the staff and management of the laboratory in scaling up output of RT-PCR testing in the laboratory.
The terms of reference can be reviewed to ensure they remain relevant and appropriate, and a work plan developed and endorsed by Government of Vanuatu and the laboratory manager.
A minimum of a first-class honours degree in a relevant discipline from an Australian University (or equivalent). A candidate with a PhD completed or in progress will be highly regarded.
Senior Laboratory Technician
A degree in a relevant discipline from an Australian university and at least 5 years’ experience in a molecular laboratory, or an equivalent combination of qualifications and experience.
- Proven experience in establishing and troubleshooting RT-PCR (experience with SARS-CoV-2 testing preferred).
- Proven experience in leading a small laboratory team (in a resource limited context preferred).
- Proven experience in capacity building and training.
- Training and competency in laboratory infection prevention and control (experience in auditing laboratory IPC and making recommendations is preferred).
- Excellent command/highly proficient in spoken and written English.
- Proven experience in developing and updating standard operating procedures, guidelines and implementing LQMS.
- Experience working in the Pacific is strongly preferred.
- Work effectively and proactively in a low-resource setting, across disciplines and at all levels.
- Engage respectfully and appropriately with national counterparts.
- Communicate clearly and effectively.
- Able to review evidence to make appropriate recommendations and facilitate effective decisions.
Position title: Adviser - Laboratory Scientist/Senior Laboratory Technician (RT-PCR)
Position type: Adviser Remuneration Framework (ARF)
Duration: 12 Months
Classification: C2 to C4 depending on experience
Reports to: Director Hospitals and Curative, Vanuatu
Commencement: April 2021
For Applications Please Submit:
- A maximum two-page cover letter outlining your suitability for the role.
- Up to date CV.
- Details of three professional referees.
- Amendments to the position’s Terms of Reference may be made during the period of the engagement as required.
- All personnel must abide by Cardno’s Code of Conduct, Australian Government policies in relation to Child Protection; Environmental and Resettlement safeguards; Gender Equality; and Disability.
- Any offer of employment will require criminal record clearance.
- The successful applicant for this position will be required to have a valid visa that provides work rights in Australia.
We thank all applicants however due to anticipated volumes of applications only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to Apply?
We welcome your interest in joining the team. Please click on this link to access the role: https://bit.ly/3cevzT2 and apply with the following listed below or click the “Apply” button to submit your application.
The closing date for applications is 5.00pm on Wednesday 21 April 2021. For any queries regarding the positions please email HSI.Recruitment@cardno.com.au
About the Organization
Cardno is a global provider of integrated professional services which enrich the physical and social environment for the communities in which we live and work. Our team of multidisciplinary specialists has more than 70 years’ experience designing, developing and delivering sustainable projects and community advancement programs. Cardno is committed to child protection in all fields. Cardno is an equal opportunity employer.
Cardno is committed to Safety and the Prevention of Sexual Abuse and Harassment (PSEAH), Child Protection and bribery prevention. We want to engage with the right people to deliver our client programs. As part of our approach you will be subjected to formal background screening, criminal record checks, employment verification, and periodic compliance checks. All Cardno staff receive safety, compliance and safeguards training and are responsible for contributing to a safer working culture.