Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the World Health Organization Representative and working within the WHO Health Emergency Cluster, the UN Volunteer – Laboratory Scientist will undertake the following tasks:
- Provide technical advice and guidance for the development and/or update of national policies and strategies on the diagnosis of COVID-19 including sample collection, handling and testing strategies
- Conduct trainings and supervise laboratory persons involved in COVID-19 testing
- Provide technical support for the strengthening of laboratory capacity and expanding access to molecular biology tests for COVID-19
- Provide technical assistance to integrate new COVID-19 specimen collection or diagnostic options as they become available
- Conduct support assessments of all laboratories that are involved in the COVID-19 testing
- Provide support and guidance on implementing quality systems and follow up on quality management in the laboratory by supporting through external quality panels, inter-lab quality checks and sending samples to reference laboratories for quality checks.
- Provide technical support for strengthening data collection and analysis of information on diagnosis of COVID-19 and in guiding interconnectivity of diagnostic information systems with overall programs or national information systems;
- Coordinate with Procurement Department for the inclusion of new diagnostics for COVID-19, and review and provide advice on purchase orders of diagnostics received from Member States;
- Provide technical guidance on laboratory aspects of COVID-19 diagnosis including coordination of technical support for all COVID-19 testing laboratories; develop and/or review technical documents on COVID-19 testing; provide guidance on implementation of COVID-19 diagnostic algorithms, new technologies and approaches;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned by the WHO.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Essential: A university degree in biomedical laboratory science and any health- related profession and a master’s degree in molecular biology, virology or any area related to the functions of the position attained from a recognised university
Desirable: Knowledge of molecular biology techniques
Required experience: 60 Months
Minimum 5 years of experience with working with infectious diseases and/or laboratory systems strengthening
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise: Public health, Disaster risk reduction, Resource mobilization, partnership and donor coordination
Driving license: No
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call for to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 30-06-2020?