Abt Associates seeks a qualified Laboratory Specialist –Jordan for the USAID-funded Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) project – Covid-19 Response activity. The Lab Specialist will support the laboratory assessment and capacity building components of COVID-19 pandemic preparedness, detection, and response activity in Jordan. This position is short-term and currently expected to be a twelve-month assignment. We are looking for individuals who are committed to exceeding expectations and who strive to improve the lives of people worldwide. This position is based in Jordan.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Activities include but are not limited to:
- Provide technical oversight and input to the local subcontractor conducting the laboratory assessment.
- Design and support implementation of laboratory capacity building activities recommended by the assessment, using international and national guidelines and best practices
- Provide technical assistance to integrate new COVID-19 specimen collection or diagnostic options as they become available.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with MOH and other partners.
- Attend meetings and document all meetings conducted with partners.
- Contribute to all reports, including quarterly and annual reports as needed.
- Master’s degree or other advanced degreein biological or laboratory sciences within a clinical or diagnostic discipline or specialty
- Minimum 8 years of experience with working with infectious diseases and/or laboratory systems strengthening
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with ministries, WHO, international NGOs is preferable
- Demonstrated experience in training and mentoring staff and others
- Ability and aptitude to perform quality assurance (QA) laboratory audits and assessments against accepted national and international standards and regulations
- Ability and demonstrated aptitude to provide technical assistance for quality improvement (QI) interventions to raise standards and quality of laboratory services
- Commitment to sustaining quality of the program amidst adapataions from feedback
- Fluent in Arabic, professional fluency in English is desirable.
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.