MCDI is currently seeking candidates to serve as the Laboratory Technical Advisor for the upcoming four-year USAID Liberia Health System Strengthening contract. S/he will act as MCDI’s key laboratory representative within the project and will be responsible for overseeing the training and supervision of laboratory and clinical staff at the county, district, and facility level for improved delivery of diagnostic services. S/he will work in close collaboration with the team of public health professionals to strengthen and assure the quality of lab systems and services with the aim of supporting and improving malaria microscopy and RDTs. S/he will be responsible for ensuring a functional quality assurance and quality control system for five basic tests (including Hemoglobin, Urine/HCG, malaria microscopy, malaria RDT, and HIV RDT) for improved diagnostics capacity and results.
This position is contingent upon contract award to MCDI.
The Laboratory Technical Advisor will:
- work with country teams to increase utilization/standardization of laboratory guidelines and policies and laboratory practices;
- work with national level, county teams and other technical assistance partners to adapt and implement tools and approaches to improve laboratory leadership and management capacities that will support and enhance the sustainability of the program, and to monitor, evaluate and document performance;
- provide technical assistance for the compilation/preparation of appropriate reference materials describing laboratory practices, including accepted norms, guidelines for materials, equipment, and infrastructure needed to support relevant treatment;
- provide training on malaria diagnosis refresher training (MDRT) and supportive supervision training for supervisors
- supervise implementation of integrated clinical and laboratory outreach, training, and supportive supervision OTSS for lab- and clinic-based staff,
- oversee adherence to existing national diagnostics protocols and standard operating procedures
- develop and participate in needs-based capacity building and training of trainers program of laboratory staff
- maintain personal expertise in clinical laboratory practice and innovative technology and equipment;
- A professional degree in laboratory sciences or equivalent (biology, microbiology, etc.) required
- Preference will be given to WHO L1 microscopists; certification in relevant molecular techniques a plus
- Experience providing technical assistance and capacity building in malaria diagnostics, including both internal and external quality assurance and quality control systems is absolutely required
- Experience in providing technical assistance to national or sub-national malaria control programs is required
- A total of 4-6 years’ experience in laboratory diagnostic supervision, with 7-10 years of progressively responsible work experience required
- Willingness to stay up to date with relevant guidelines, SOPs, and new laboratory procedures required
- Willingness to spend up to 40% of the time in peripheral facilities to assess progress and make corrective actions is required
- Research experience in public health, clinical medicine, or new technology development and testing is highly desirable
- Basic computer skills (MS Word, Excel) required
- Priority will be given to Liberian nationals
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org. Compensation will be based on USAID FSN scales.
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
About the Organization
Over the past 40 years, Medical Care Development International (MCDI), the international health division of Medical Care Development, Inc. (MCD), has worked to strengthen health systems through practical, evidence-based and high-impact interventions across several public health sectors in over 40 countries. MCDI collaborates with donors, national governments, the private sector, health agencies, communities and local stakeholder to improve the health outcomes of vulnerable populations. By joining MCDI, employees join a diverse network of highly capable individuals, many of whom are experts in their field.