Abt Associates seeks a qualified Land Tenure and Governance Expert for the evaluation of a Morocco Land Productivity Project. The Project aims to increase land productivity through national land policy reforms that includes updating and improving land laws, regulations and administrative processes governing land. Three activities are implemented under this project: the Land Governance Activity supports the development and implementation of a land governance sector strategy; a Rural Land Activity focusing on delivering titles to smallholder farmers and optimizing the procedure for converting collective irrigated land into individual ownership; an Industrial Land Activity aiming to optimize the way the government brings industrial land to market by using Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) to leverage investments and develop, manage, and maintain industrial zones. The Land Tenure and Governance Expert reports to the Evaluation Team Lead.
Indicative Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides technical input, guidance, and leadership on national land governance (including institutional coordination in the land sector, permitting processes, and land legislation), and rural land rights and titles on collective lands to ensure the evaluation design and methods are suitable to the country and sector;
- Helps develop and implement the evaluation of the Land Productivity Project, and provides support with data collection;
- Travels as needed to consult with key stakeholders, including land development sector and country experts, implementing partners, donors, beneficiaries, and others and participates in events promoting the lessons learned from each project or activity;
- Interviews beneficiaries, non-beneficiaries, staff, and other stakeholders;
- Analyzes findings and contributes to drafting reports.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- A Graduate or post-graduate degree in Land Administration/Management, Land Tenure, Economics or a related field;
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in designing, and/or implementing projects related to agricultural land tenure, land rights, and/or agricultural land reform in Morocco and/or developing countries;
- Knowledge of evaluation designs, practices, qualitative and quantitative methods / techniques (e.g. interviews, focus groups, (quasi-) experimental research) suitable to the land and property rights sector;
- Experience with social and gender issues as it relates to land tenure;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with an ability to work well under pressure;
- Familiarity with MCC’s objectives, approaches, and operations, and familiarity with MCC’s Evaluation Policy is preferred;
- Experience coordinating with developing country governments, ministries and/or local non-governmental organizations/community-based organizations for the design and implementation of evaluations;
- Proficiency in English and French required;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required.
To be considered for this opportunity, qualified applicants must submit the following to CIE@abtassoc.com:
- Required: Updated résumé;
- Encouraged: Cover Letter that describes the applicant’s qualifications with relevance to the scope of work;
- Please include the job title in the email subject line.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com