Cardno is currently seeking a qualified, short-term Landfill Engineer experienced in project planning, permitting, and engineering for soil and sediment containment systems and related projects for a USAID-funded dioxin remediation project in Vietnam. Cardno must prepare detailed design plans and specifications for each approved non-treatment activity.
Scope of Work
The Landfill Engineer will be responsible for leading and performing the engineering design of soil and sediment containment systems consistent with overall project delivery and design processes and interfacing with the client on work progress and technical aspects of the project.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide technical oversight and guidance for the development of a conceptual design of the Long Term Storage Area (LTSA), an unlined landfill facility for containment of low-concentration soils
- Lead the detailed engineering design of soil and sediment containment systems, which includes the development of Detailed Design (60%); Final Draft Design (90%); and Final Approved Design (100%).
- Provide feedback on the LTSA siting evaluation
- Provide oversight of a compendium of standard specifications to address construction requirements including but not limited to monitoring and environmental compliance (storm water, etc.).
- Assessing geological and hydrogeological settings for potential facilities
- Researching appropriate legislation and guidelines governing landfill sites, construction, operation, maintenance, monitoring, closure, and rehabilitation, which include host country requirements and review of criteria
- Siting of the facility to include host country requirements and review of criteria
- Evaluating construction materials and design choices for projects, including specifications for protection, containment, collection, and removal systems
- Preparing cost estimates for project; conducting risk assessments for different sites and designs; performing excavation and fill volume calculations
- Participate in weekly internal conference calls and liaise with the client and subject matter experts regarding design and project progression.
- Interface with the client on work progress and technical aspects of the project
- Bachelor’s Degree (civil or environmental engineering, hydrogeology or closely related field)
- Minimum of 20 years in environmental projects, including experience in environmental remediation and facilities construction.
- Professional Engineer or Geologist
- US or Vietnamese citizenship required
- Ability to prepare plans and bid specifications
- Ability to prepare cost estimates and maintain records
- Ability to prepare reports analyzing engineering options
- Knowledge of principles and practices of soil and sediment containment systems
- Ability to communicate effectively in technical and nontechnical terms
- Ability to utilize personal computers including network based applications
- Ability to develop design and construction drawings for excavation, containment, and/or support features/structures.
- Experience preparing reports for USAID or other donor-funded programs
- Demonstrated experience interacting with host county nationals, government agents, counterparts, and international donor agencies.
- Experience in SE Asia and especially Vietnam
- Assignment duration: Anticipated up to 80 working days from February 2020 – May 2020
Position Location & Travel: Remote with potential travel to Bien Hoa, Vietnam
About the OrganizationCardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd., is part of Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division with international development assistance companies in Brisbane, Brussels, Jakarta, Melbourne, Nairobi, Oxford, Port Moresby, and Washington, DC. Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. was formerly Emerging Markets Group, Ltd. and brings nearly a 30-year history serving the objectives of bilateral and multilateral donors and private clients. The Emerging Markets Division brings together a broad range of experience and talent; a rich history of innovation, passion and commitment to international development and an established reputation for high quality demand and client driven services.
Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division manages more than $750 million in current contracts and grants, brings together over 90 years of collective experience, and engages over 3,700 professionals in more than 100 countries. Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division currently implements over 130 projects globally.
More Jobs from this Organization