Meds & Food for Kids
About the Job
The Nutrition Fellow – Nurse Educator will be a vital member of the MFK Nutrition team in its mission to support Haitian both urban and rural malnutrition clinics in the North, Northeast and Artibonite departments of Haiti. MFK requires a 12-month commitment working with majority Haitian staff as well as North American and European staff.
- Assist with the implementation of and lead the evaluation of MFK’s rural and urban malnutrition clinics for severely and moderately malnourished children, located near Cap-Haitien, Haiti.
- Work with the program’s nurses and agent santé (community health worker) to recruit patients, provide follow-up, and deliver health education to the patients’ families;
- Assist the Executive Director with outreach to partner agencies looking for capacity-building on malnutrition treatment; facilitate malnutrition-treatment trainings;
- Report to program funders through the collection of intake information, by developing evaluation metrics for training and treatment, through the collection data on children receiving treatment and their families; the outcomes of training initiatives; and by writing summary reports;
- Assist with the implementation and evaluation of a nutritional supplementation project for pregnant and immediate post-partum women. Provide the women with weekly dietary counselling, culturally appropriate prenatal education, health monitoring, feeding support, assistance with weaning and advice on appropriate weaning foods. This project is located at partner clinics all throughout Cap-Haitien.
- Maintain thorough and careful record keeping to enable the construction of project evaluation. Analyze data and draft progress and summary reports for the project’s funder;
- Assist with the implementation and evaluation of MFK’s school-feeding program. This MFK program, with funding from the United States Department of Agriculture, recently completed a study which successfully demonstrated that school children who received Vita Mamba, MFK’s school snack, experienced increased body weight, improved hemoglobin levels, higher level of attentiveness, and more engagement at school;
- Support the MFK staff with expansion of the school-feeding program to additional schools;
- Develop educational nutrition lessons for the schools involved in the school-feeding program;
- Research funding opportunities for the program;
- Help collect data and maintain records for the program. Regularly communicate progress to stakeholders and U.S.-based headquarters staff;
- Travel within Haiti using local transportation (buses) to educate partner clinics’ personnel in Port-au-Prince and in remote, rural areas;
- Attend and participate in Haiti’s Ministry of Health and Public Policy nutrition conferences in Port-au-Prince on behalf of MFK.
- Assisting in planning, construction and implementation of all three programs;
- Mentoring and transmitting essential knowledge and experience to local Haitian staff and partners;
- Maintaining thorough and careful record keeping to enable the construction of project evaluation. Analyze data and draft progress and summary reports for the projects’ funders;
- Continually updating nutrition documentation and curriculum;
- Ongoing documentation and support of MFK’s malnutrition programs; this includes the sharing of stories and photographs each month with the development team at MKF’s headquarters; it also includes the writing of a blog each month on your experiences with Haiti’s children and malnutrition;
- Supporting role in managing and reporting on the malnutrition programs and prenatal supplementation project and on the expansion of the school-feeding program;
- Evaluating current partner clinics and suggesting new clinic sites for malnourished children and/or pregnant women.
- Will consider applicants with a Nursing degree;
- Must have excellent communication skills;
- Able to work under pressure and adapt quickly to different working environments;
- Must have exposure to working and living in the developing world, preferably in Haiti or French-speaking African countries;
- Must be fluent in English and French; Haitian Creole a plus.
The fellowship covers travel to and from Haiti, generous vacation time, housing, health and medical evacuation insurance, and daily transportation to and from the MFK facility. A small, monthly stipend covers food and personal items.
To apply, please send cover letter and résumé to email@example.com with the words “Nutrition Fellowship” in the subject line.
About the Organization
Meds & Food for Kids (MFK), a registered NGO and 501c3 non-profit, has an opening for a Nutrition Fellow – Nurse Educator, starting early spring, 2018, at its facility in Cap-Haitien, Haiti.
MFK offers the opportunity to share your skills and gain additional valuable experience working in international development for a dynamic, young social enterprise. MFK’s mandate is to make life-saving Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF), and other fortified nutritional products and to make them available to children and other vulnerable populations in Haiti. Under this mandate, MFK management is committed to providing safe, quality food to our customers.