To provide technical and thought leadership on economic sector works, and statistical analysis of the Member countries, including studies on the MCs economic background. To oversee the research agenda on issues such as policy impact analysis and evaluation to better understand and guide IDB’s interventions in member countries.
Policy and Strategy Planning and Input
- Lead the Economic Research and Statistics Division’s work plans, programs and activities.
- Lead to the development and implementation of Sector Research Work of the Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Lead the planning and development of internal research projects
- Review, document and evaluate research proposals, research papers and academic writings and assess their contribution to the development literature
- Lead the team of sector researchers to ensure that best practices and latest developments involving other Multilateral Development Banks (MDB) are considered on a daily basis.
- Ensure adoption of international best practices in the Sector Research field.
- Oversee the economic sector works and diagnostic studies on the program of the Division.
- Formulate recommendations based on Gap Analysis of IDB Group to identify areas for improvement
- Lead the economist in the regional hubs to ensure that the sector work for different countries is done efficiently
- Lead the research and analysis on sectoral development challenges facing the MCs.
- Leverage strong knowledge at the sectoral level to support the research undertaken by the Division.
- Publication of papers in high quality journals, high quality internal and external reports.
Knowledge Sharing and Dissemination
- Lead the transfer of knowledge from the Division’s activities to other IDB Group members to ensure awareness and diffusion.
- Lead and coordinate annual and periodic events conducted by the Division, such as: Seminars; Regional workshops; and capacity building activities.
- Oversee the preparation of regular internal status reports of all activities in the Division and highlight areas of concern and success stories.
- Lead the preparation of reports for external use to demonstrate and provide required information on Sector work.
- Manage, with other stakeholders, to present the reports and publications related to performance of Division’s programs.
- Design a robust feedback system in place for gaining feedback from various internal and external stakeholders on the operations of the Division
- Master’s Degree in Economics, Statistics or related field.
- PhD in Economics, Statistics, or related field is added advantage
- English (mandatory)
- French (preferred)
- Arabic (preferred)
Minimum number of years and nature of experience
- 10+ years of experience in economic and sector research , 3 of which in a multilateral development bank.
Job specific competencies
- Advanced problem-solving knowledge
- Knowledge of sectorial level research.
- Advanced analytical and creative thinking.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills.
- Building relationships and team working
- Client centricity and responsiveness
- Drive for Results.
- Accurate and methodical.
- Ability to work under pressure
20% or more depending on requirements
About the Organization
Islamic Development Bank (IDB) is a Multilateral Development Bank established in 1973 with the purpose of fostering economic development and social progress of its member countries and Muslim communities in non-member countries in accordance with the principles of Islamic Finance. The IDB remains amongst the most highly-rated MDBs and the highest in the Muslim World. The ‘AAA’ rating enhances the Bank’s financial capacity to fulfil its development mandate and play a leading role in the development of the Islamic Finance Industry.