The U.S. Agency for International Development’s Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance (USAID/OFDA) is the lead office responsible for coordinating the United States Government’s (USG) response to disasters and humanitarian assistance needs worldwide. Through extensive consultations with thought leaders (i.e. executives and senior international field leaders) in the humanitarian community, USAID/OFDA has identified the need for enhanced leadership skills and commitment to common purpose that will result in collective action by cross-organizational leadership teams. Thus, Global Executive Leadership Initiative (GELI) is being developed to challenge senior international field leaders to maximize their leadership excellence and lead more collaboratively, while simultaneously ensuring a larger number of senior field leaders respond to complex crises, contribute to wider system change, and improve performance that saves lives of crisis affected people.
The GELI will be delivered as a 12-month, cohort-based program. During the 12 months, a cohort will attend three (3) residencies. These residencies will be complemented by 360 assessments and executive coaching and other learning opportunities. In between residencies, participants will have remote access to executive coaching and webcasts, as well as have the option to participate in a Leadership Innovation Lab that contributes towards identifying solutions to a challenge within the international system. Following the 12-month cohort delivery, participants will become part of an alumni group who will meet on an annual basis.
The KonTerra Group has been selected as the prime contractor for the GELI.
The Job – What Is It?
The KonTerra Group is hiring a full-time Lead Instructional Designer to plan, design and develop training methodology and materials.
The position is full-time and based in downtown DC. Remote work will also be considered.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Program Manager to ensure that all program activities are performed and completed in accordance with contract deliverables.
- Provides leadership and strategic guidance on all aspects of residencies and Leadership Innovation Lab.
- Contributes to the GELI-managed process for developing strategic training directions and plans.
- Ensure that the design of individual modules is synthesized into a coherent, meaningful experience for GELI participants. This will require working collaboratively with GELI partners and subcontractors in the development of the residency experience and Innovation Lab activities.
- Design and develop adult training and workshop curricula, including the development of instructor manuals, participant guides, and multimedia materials in support of training.
- Works with leadership experts and GELI-identified operational experts to plan, design, and develop training methodology and materials. Edits, updates, and revises modules according to feedback provided by GELI team.
Qualifications and Experience
- Candidate must possess at minimum a Bachelor’s Degree in social services, education, instructional design, leadership, organizational development or related field. Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Extensive experience in developing leadership development programs.
- Knowledge and experience in the design and facilitation of both small- and large-group work sessions and in leading-edge approaches to this work.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders to achieve programmatic results.
- Additional relevant experience in working with humanitarian/development organizations is highly desirable.
This position is a GS-13 equivalent. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To Apply: Please submit resume and cover letter with the title “Lead Instructional Designer GELI” in the subject line.
About the Organization
The KonTerra Group – Who Are We?
The KonTerra Group exists to support the health and effectiveness of organizations and their people. With a focus on supporting organizations working in challenging environments, we develop solutions that sharpen clarity, strengthen resilience and incorporate learning.
The KonTerra Group is a leading provider of resilience and staff support services to the international humanitarian and development community and other high stress/high risk occupations. It is comprised of experienced, seasoned professionals who are passionate about what we do and serving our clients.
We provide a variety of individual, managerial and organizational services to the employees of our client organizations including:
- Confidential, individual short-term counseling
- Resilience assessments
- Confidential pre- and post-assignment consultations
- Training and psychoeducation
- Critical incident management services
- Organizational assessments
- Executive/leadership coaching
- Career coaching
- Team strengthening
- Organizational resilience support
Our clients include governmental and United Nations agencies, non-governmental organizations and private sector development actors. We provide support to both headquarters and field locations around the world. We have a small, but growing, clientele in the technology and health care sectors.