EnCompass LLC seeks a Learning Specialist II to design, develop, deliver, and evaluate learning courses, activities, and events. The Learning Specialist II will provide innovative approaches in instructional design for courses featuring all elements of blended learning: experiential, participatory in-person courses, virtual instructor-led training, e-learning courses, instructional videos, job aids, action learning, and mentoring, coaching and other peer learning elements. Successful candidates will design learning experiences with a focus on incorporating a variety of learning methods and the creation of an effective learning environment.
The Learning Specialist II will work as part of an appreciative, collaborative team to design, develop, deliver, and/or evaluate courses for EnCompass clients, including international organizations, U.S. government agencies, and private and public-sector organizations.
The position is based at EnCompass Rockville, MD headquarters. The Learning Specialist II will be expected to work from client sites in the Washington, DC metro area as needed.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential functions include:
- Design curricula, storyboards, and/or other learning tools, using creative, adult-learning and evidence-based approaches
- Work with subject-matter experts to define learning objectives, select content, and create evaluation measures
- Develop dynamic, experiential learning session designs for face-to-face and virtual training including blended learning architectures, macro designs/outlines based on client content, micro designs or facilitator and participant guides, and trainer scripts and slides
- Develop scripts for e-learning, LMS platform-based modules, and instructional videos/animations, and work with an animator in designing the accompanying visual imagery
- Facilitate face-to-face workshops and virtual instructor-led training sessions
- Conduct training for various clients including but not limited to U.S. government and UN agencies
- Contribute expertise and innovative approaches; bring leading-edge thinking, methodologies and approaches to training, learning and leadership development programs
- Manage learning programs
- Manage projects from design to implementation, including scope, budget, timeline, and quality assurance for assigned training activities
- Manage consultants working to develop training sessions or programs, ensuring that they remain on budget and on time in delivering expected materials
- Commission and manage additional internal or external resources as required in order to ensure cost-effective delivery of development initiatives
- Effectively communicate training project deliverables to clients, team members, and other stakeholders in a clear and concise manner
- Contribute to, and potentially lead, learning evaluations, using Kirkpatrick Levels 1, 2, and 3
- Serve as a resource to Business Development teams by contributing to proposal development processes to include developing level of effort estimates and writing technical approaches
- May supervise and/or mentor staff
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years’ experience; or Master’s degree and 5+ years’ experience; or PhD and 2 years’ experience.
- Degree in Curriculum Design, Organizational Development, Instructional Design, International Development or other related fields.
Experience and Skills
- Extensive experience in designing and facilitating interactive learning experiences and designing curricula based on experiential, adult-centered learning, using blended learning and innovative technologies
- Experience in instructional design with a focus on blended learning for in-person and virtual learning
- Knowledge of learning principles including adult learning, learning styles theory, participatory methods, instructional design, Appreciative Inquiry, whole systems thinking, and related topics
- Experience in designing and delivering learning activities for U.S. government and/or UN agencies
- Experience in designing storyboards for e-learning, LMS platforms, videos, and animations, particularly for Articulate Storyline, Rise, and Adobe Connect
- Knowledge of graphics, layout, and Word stylesheets
- Experience in face-to-face facilitation of participatory sessions
- Experience in learning evaluation a plus
- Strong planning, organization, critical and strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills with a dynamic, engaging facilitation style
- Able to confidently engage with staff at all levels to define needs and expectations, collaborate on projects, and communicate results
- Experience in the field of international development, working in cross-cultural environments
- Ability to work in an environment committed to appreciative, strengths-based approaches
- Commitment to providing the highest level of service
- Fluency in language(s) other than English and experience working or living overseas preferable
- Ability to travel, including internationally, may be required for some assignments
About the Organization
EnCompass is a women-owned business offering innovative and customized solutions for leadership, capacity strengthening, technical assistance, and monitoring and evaluation. We have experience in more than 70 countries and a team of more than 100 staff and 1,200 experts around the globe.
We partner with government and multilateral agencies, nonprofit organizations, and corporations around the world, offering thought leadership, rich diversity, and technical expertise in global health, inclusive development, education, human rights, and food security.