Global Health Advocacy Incubator
The Global Health Advocacy Incubator (GHAI) at the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids draws on lessons from tobacco control and its growing experience on other public health issues to support policy change campaigns around the globe to improve health. To date, that work includes obesity prevention and cardiovascular health, road safety, drowning prevention, maternal and reproductive health, and vital statistics.
This Legal Advisor plays a leading role in the GHAI’s efforts to support and train (Non-Governmental Organization) NGO partners working to enact and implement public health policy change campaigns in specific low-and middle-income countries.
The Legal Advisor works closely with the GHAI team to provide legal analysis of legislation, regulations, and litigation at the country, regional and international levels. The Legal Advisor is involved in analyzing existing legislation, drafting legislation, developing legal resources and supporting advocacy efforts related to legislative change.
The Legal Advisor should have extensive knowledge of public health legal issues with previous involvement in policy advocacy campaigns. Experience working on non-communicable disease policies is desirable, as well as working with a range of stakeholders. This position is based in Washington, DC and is open to U.S. citizens and other applicants who already possess U.S. work authorization.
The Legal Advisor will work closely with GHAI team to develop legislative, regulatory, and litigation strategies to support the advocacy efforts of the Incubator and partners.
Key areas of focus for the position include:
- Work collaboratively with GHAI team toward the accomplishment of team and project objectives on a variety of public health issues.
- Develop country legal strategies as an integrated part of an overall advocacy strategy for policy change.
- Provide legal analyses of legislation, regulations, and other initiatives at the national and/or subnational level on an ongoing basis.
- Based on legal analysis, identify gaps in legislation to inform the setting of policy change priorities on public health issues.
- Identify and oversee the work of in-country lawyers with legal and subject matter expertise in conducting legal analyses.
- Assist with the drafting of legislation or regulations and provide continuing assistance as the draft is modified or changed by the government.
- Provide analysis and support on in-country litigation involving public health issues.
- When possible, review opposition drafts and provide analysis and responses to weak provisions or loopholes created by opposition.
- Develop and maintain legislative drafting tools for those considering legislation for the first time or for comparing weaknesses in specific provisions.
- Maintain an inventory and analysis of countries’ public health policies and global best practice.
- Develop resource materials and tools relevant to advancing policy.
- Juris Doctor Degree (or the equivalent first-level legal degree awarded by a law school accredited by the national authority responsible for accreditation).
- Three-seven years of relevant legal, legislative and international experience working on public health or broader development issues.
- Knowledge of and experience in using legal analysis to advance policy change objectives.
- Experience with developing training seminars and programs for government lawyers and local advocates on public health legal issues.
- Excellent analytical skills and legal writing and research ability.
- Experience in legal analysis of public health issues, particularly in the area of nutrition and non-communicable diseases, a plus.
- Demonstrated excellence in communication and in working with peoples from diverse cultures and countries.
- Familiarity or work experience outside the United States preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment while juggling and coordinating multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently with only general supervision.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 25%.
- Foreign language proficiency highly desirable.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume and salary requirement to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please reference the position code: LA/GHAI/14 in the subject line of your email. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
About the Organization
The Global Health Advocacy Incubator, a program of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, advances public health policies to build a healthier and safer world. Drawing on our extensive global experience, we offer strategic support to develop and execute advocacy campaigns to pass laws and policies that save lives. The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is a leader in the fight to reduce tobacco use in the United States and around the world. A non-profit organization established in 1996, the Campaign works with more than 130 organizational partners, including public health, medical, education, civic, corporate, youth and religious organizations. The Campaign does not accept any government or tobacco industry funding.