Resolve to Save Lives is a groundbreaking five-year global health initiative that aims to save millions of lives by reducing preventable deaths from cardiovascular disease and to prevent infectious disease epidemics. Resolve to Save Lives (https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/) is housed within Vital Strategies. Since September 2017, Resolve to Save Lives has been working closely with governments, the World Health Organization, academic and other civil society partners in a number of countries to build capacity for and implement a core package of interventions to reduce cardiovascular disease.
Vital Strategies is seeking qualified candidates for two Legal Advisor positions with Vital Strategies’ Public Health division. The Legal Advisors will be responsible for providing technical leadership in designing and implementing the legal strategy to support one or more of Vital Strategies’ public health initiatives, specifically the Resolve to Save Lives initiative. Under the direction of the Legal Director of Policy and Programs, the Legal Advisors will coordinate closely with program staff and local partners to deliver timely, quality legal support. These are full-time positions, preferably based in New York City or Paris. Applicants must possess a valid permit to work from the applicable office.
- Provide legal and technical support on a variety of public health issues to Vital Strategies teams and other stakeholders. Participate in the development of global and local public health policy strategies. Provide objective legal guidance and risk assessment on technical intervention planning, design, and implementation.
- Conduct legal research and analyses of legislation, regulations, litigation, and other policies at the national and/or subnational level. Identify opportunities to advance public health by improving existing legal measures.
- Provide direct technical assistance and mentorship to government and civil society stakeholders in drafting of legislation, regulations, and other legal measures.
- Identify, train, and supervise local lawyers and legal experts in the various jurisdiction where Vital Strategies works.
- Deliver written and verbal explanations of complicated legal issues to a range of partners with various capacities. Develop guidance, toolkits, and other educational resources on legal and other policy issues.
- Develop and maintain legislative drafting tools for those considering legislation for the first time or for comparing weaknesses in specific provisions.
- Track and catalogue national and local policies, legal trends, and best practices for relevant public health policies.
- Juris Doctor Degree (or the equivalent)
- 3-7 years of professional legal experience in public health and/or public policy issues
- Ability to quickly conduct detailed legal research and analysis on novel areas of law in unfamiliar jurisdictions
- Technical expertise in one or more substantive public health and policy issues, such as food safety standards, nutrition regulations, epidemic preparedness, or disaster law
- Experience developing legal curriculum and facilitating training and capacity building
- Excellence working with peoples from diverse cultures and countries
- Ability to take initiative and work independently with only general supervision
- Familiarity or work experience outside the United States preferred
- Procedural experience and knowledge of national and/or local legislative and regulatory processes preferred.
- Familiarity with international health legal frameworks, a plus
- Ability to travel internationally up to 40%
- Foreign language proficiency highly desirable, UN official languages a plus
How to Apply
Please send your CV and a cover letter, including your salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be received until the position is filled. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Vital Strategies offers competitive compensation for full-time employees and pro-rata for part-time employees based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where Vital Strategies pays generously towards the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 15 paid vacation days (rising to 20 paid vacation days from fourth year of service and 25 from seventh year onwards), 13 paid federal holidays and paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; paid sick days; retirement savings plan; commuter benefits and basic life and personal accident insurance.
About the Organization
Vital Strategies, based in New York City, is an international public health organization. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities. Our specific programs include road safety, obesity prevention, tobacco control, and activities to strengthen public health data systems and the use of public health data to guide policy and decision-making. Activities are based in low and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.