Afghanistan’s Measure for Accountability and Transparency (AMANAT),
“Afghanistan’s Measure for Accountability and Transparency” project (AMANAT) is a USAID activity focused on supporting Afghan government and non-government institutions reduce and prevent corruption in the delivery of public services. The project works closely with local counterpart agencies to identify public services that are particularly vulnerable to corruption, develop mitigation strategies, implement those initiatives, and monitor their impact. Examples of AMANAT’s reforms include administrative streamlining, improved internal controls, e-governance applications, more open data, and establishing ethics units in government agencies. The project also promotes better communication of these reforms to generate more public trust in government. In addition, civil society, business and the media play major roles in AMANAT by conducting robust monitoring and oversight of these institutional reforms and their impacts.
**Please note: Only Afghan citizens are eligible for this position**
The Legal Advisor will provide technical expertise in the field of law to support government reform of specific business processes. This will result in more efficient and effective service delivery to Afghan citizens. The Advisor will review relevant laws, regulations and policies to identify legal barriers that exist for redesigning business processes and will provide concrete recommendations for the amendment of laws. The Advisor will work with government ministries to formulate, develop and amend the laws. In this position, the advisor will be an essential member of a multi-disciplinary team that is creating change in public service delivery by identifying and focusing on business processes in government agencies and then making them more efficient by simplifying them.
- Conduct legal analysis, research and drafting to support specific Business Process Redesign (BPR) initiatives in selected government line ministries
- Create an enabling legal framework for change
- Provide advice and technical support for draft laws, procedures, guidelines, MoUs and other legal documents
- Identify legal constraints and provide concrete recommendations
- Support BPR advisors to review, identify and analyze legal documents on public service processes
- Provide advice on different legal issues and assist in drafting legal opinions, memorandums and other legal documents
- Study and analyze relevant legal documents for amendments
- Conduct legal research by utilizing various resources and selecting the relevant materials to analyze the legal information
- Assist in reviewing the legal materials and any other relevant documents, and to identify the most important issues that need to be sorted out on a priority basis
- Draw up formalities regarding the settlement of disputes and monitor the implementation of the legal clauses
- Other related legal work to create an enable BPR
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree is preferred
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in Afghanistan’s laws, rules and regulations
- Demonstrated knowledge of Afghanistan’s judicial and legal systems
- Familiarity with public sector reform processes and streamlining of public service delivery
- Familiarity with the political economic context of public sector reforms
- Outstanding teamwork skills
- Strong communications skills including effective listening
- Proactive problem solver
- Demonstrated track record of creativity, innovation and flexibility
- Sound decision making and organizational skills
- Skills in work planning and establishing priorities
- Ability to gather data, compile and analyze information, and write reports
- Conflict resolution and/or mediation skills
- Fluent English, and professional proficiency in Dari and Pashto (writing and speaking)
Reasonable Accommodations: MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please email MSI.Dept.HRRecruiting@tetratechinc.onmicrosoft.com with “Reasonable Accommodations” in the title. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.
Applications due by: July 17, 2020
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.