Dexis is seeking a Legal Advisor for an anticipated five-year Justice and Transparency Project funded by USAID. This will be a full-time position based in Guatemala City, Guatemala. The purpose of this project is to strengthen security and justice sector institutions to more effectively and efficiently investigate, prosecute, and adjudicate crime in order to reduce impunity in Guatemala.
This position is contingent upon award.
- Design and oversee program implementation under the Justice and Transparency Reform activities to improve the legal and policy framework governing the judiciary in Guatemala.
- Serve as a legal advisor for project activities, prepare research summaries, review and draft commentaries of primary and secondary legislation, draft legal memoranda and formulate policy recommendations.
- Design and oversee implementation, monitoring, and reporting of activities to strengthen the efficiency and effectiveness of the administration of justice and enhance professionalism and accountability of judicial institutions and actors.
- Act as a liaison with Guatemala courts, and other justice-related institutions, and civil society organizations.
- Attend, participate in, and/or report on formal and informal meetings with counterparts, including government members, court leadership, judges, lawyers, court legal clerks, court personnel, and related groups, and partners, including relevant donor-funded projects.
- Conduct and/or monitor training in areas relevant to project activities, in collaboration with colleagues and counterparts.
- Prepare, or assist in preparing, annual program work plan, implementation schedules, performance monitoring plan, policy papers and position papers, and periodic reports required by USAID, including quarterly and annual progress report.
- A law degree or graduate degree in a relevant field.
- 10 years of professional practice justice sector reform
- Demonstrated rule of law technical and comparative knowledge across a number of different countries and types of judicial systems, preferably in the Latin America and Caribbean region. Relevant experience in Guatemala desired.
- Past experience working on issues related to legal writing and reasoning
- Experience in developing countries working in reform and capacity building.
- Demonstrated capacity to prepare legal documents, memoranda, and reports
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics, transparency, and accountability in program implementation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish, native Spanish speaker preferred.
Dexis is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled or Vietnam Era veteran of the US Armed Forces.
About the Organization
Since 2001, Dexis has provided innovative management solutions for a secure and prosperous world. In the last three years alone, Dexis has worked in 90 countries supporting critical missions of agencies in the global development and security assistance space. With triple digit growth in recent years, Dexis was ranked in the top 10 consulting firms by funding at the US Agency for International Development in FY16 and FY17. Dexis was also among the highest rated employers on Glassdoor, where many of its 250-plus employees cited a people-centered leadership and culture as the main drivers to its success.