- Short Term Adviser
- Up to 220 days to March 2020
- Inputs in Papua New Guinea & Homebased
The Government of Papua New Guinea, Autonomous Bougainville Government and Government of Australia are working in partnership on a number of shared priorities in Bougainville. The partnership is strengthening governance and service delivery, promoting social cohesion and economic growth, and empowering women and youth.
The Bougainville Partnership is working towards the following broad objectives:
- Autonomy and Effective Governance – Supporting the Autonomous Bougainville Government to become a more accountable and effective autonomous government.
- Economic Development – Generating inclusive and sustainable economic growth in the Bougainville economy, with a specific focus on women, youth, and conflict-affected communities.
- Peace, Stability and Community Cohesion – Working in partnership with the Autonomous Bougainville Government and local actors to strengthen the foundations for sustainable peace and stability.
The Bougainville Partnership are seeking a Legal Issues Adviser who will provide support in a number of key areas including; policy and legislative development; delivery of legal services across the ABG (including understanding the legal requirements for action and, where needed, recommending improvement); and implementation of Bougainville’s autonomy arrangements. The Adviser will also be called upon to support other Partnership activities, to ensure coherence within Bougainville’s constitutional framework. This role will be short term, with inputs of up to 220 days through to March 2020.
The successful candidate will bring:
- Degree in law from a University in a common law jurisdiction is essential, coupled with a relevant post-graduate qualification would be an advantage;
- An understanding of Bougainville’s autonomy arrangements and the constitutional framework within which it functions is essential;
- An understanding of international best-practice in legislative drafting, including plain language drafting, is desirable;
- An understanding of the constraints impacting on development and planning in developing countries (and small jurisdictions in particular) is desirable;
- At least 10 years’ high-level cross-portfolio experience in provision of legal services (preferably in a government context) is essential.
About the Organization
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.