The USAID Local Health System Sustainability Project (LHSS) project helps low- and middle-income countries transition to sustainable, self-financed health systems as a means to support universal health coverage. Led by Abt Associates, the five-year, $209 million project works with partner countries and local stakeholders to reduce financial barriers to care and treatment, ensure equitable access to essential health services for all people, and improve the quality of health services.
As part of this work, LHSS is providing technical assistance (TA) to winners of USAID’s Inclusive Health Access Prize (IHAP), with the goal of helping these private sector innovators scale up their businesses sustainably, and ultimately achieve greater health impact. Most of these winners are early stage social enterprises that leverage mobile technologies to expand access – from an online blood bank and blood delivery services, to a mobile payment platform for medicines, to a telemedicine enabled cervical and breast cancer diagnostic service.
Aim of the Consultancy:
While each of the IHAP winners is at a different stage and has different goals, they all require business model development and strategy support. This includes support such as: helping them analyze their existing operational models, questioning assumptions, and identifying opportunities to improve efficiencies; thinking through expansion and scale strategies for new geographies, customers, and service lines; and identifying sources of and preparing to secure financing to support growth.
To support this effort, LHSS is seeking experienced consultants with expertise in social enterprise business models and business strategy development in West Africa. The consultant will work closely with 1 or more winner teams to strengthen their business model and strategy, and in some cases, support direct development of business assets that will address gaps identified in their current organization (for example, developing a marketing strategy, creating a financial projection tool, developing a manual or standard operating procedures).
- Bachelor’s degree in management, business, economics, public health or other relevant field with 8-10 years of experience. Master’s degree, such as MBA, strongly preferred
- Demonstrated expertise directly supporting social enterprises or other small businesses in sub-Saharan Africa, such as providing business coaching and technical assistance
- Previous experience in at least 2 of the following areas (ideally more): conducting organizational/business model diagnostics, business strategy formulation, financial analysis, business operations, marketing
- Knowledge of social enterprise models, health care delivery models, mHealth and mobile technology applications, and market-based solutions preferred.
- Understanding of healthcare systems and healthcare industry, highly desirable.
- Familiarity with West African business and investment landscape, particularly in Senegal, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire highly desirable
- Strong attention to detail, with demonstrated ability to independently produce high quality work, on-time and in a cost-effective manner
- Collaborative, team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Business proficiency in English and French is required (fluency in both preferred)
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability and willingness to travel within West Africa, as needed
Illustrative Tasks and Responsibilities include:
- Understand and document enterprises’ business model and expansion plans, including identifying any strengths, efficiencies, pain points, gaps
- Collect and review necessary documents on each enterprise’s business model, operations, finances, strategy
- Serve as the local point of contact for the TA delivery and provide coordination support, including meeting scheduling for international travelers and workshop logistics, as needed
- Meet regularly with the enterprise teams and visit delivery or expansion sites as needed
- Provide direct coaching to enterprise team staff, where possible
- Develop strategies and business assets to address needs and gaps identified in close collaboration with enterprise teams and LHSS project team experts
- Communicate regularly by phone and email with remote LHSS project team and follow-up on any requests
Specific tasks and deliverables will be identified for each enterprise before the contract is finalized, to be determined based on consultant’s specific profile and enterprise needs.
Period of Performance:
The anticipated period of performance for this assignment is March 2020 – December 2020.
Estimated Level of Effort: 30 days
How to Apply:
We are recruiting for positions in two West African countries: Senegal and Cameroon. To apply, submit your CV and an application letter/email message that provides details of your relevant qualifications and the country you’re based in to LHSSCore@abtassoc.com by Friday, March 27, 2020. Please specify “West Africa Business Strategy Consultant” in the email subject line.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.