Global Communities is seeking a Livelihoods/Agriculture Specialist for USAID-funded Resiliency in Northern Ghana (RING) program. The aim of the program is to improve the livelihoods and nutritional status of vulnerable households in targeted communities in the Northern Region of Ghana. Project activities will focus on increasing consumption of diverse quality foods, especially among women and children; improving behaviors related to nutrition and hygiene of women and young children; strengthening local support networks (with a particular focus on Regional Coordinating Councils (RCC) and District Assembly (DA) staff and systems) to address the needs of vulnerable households.
The Livelihoods/Agriculture Specialist will be responsible for activities designed to increase production, consumption, and marketing of diverse quality food, especially among women and children. S/he will facilitate at various intervention levels the analyses of community needs, resources available for addressing needs of vulnerable households, approaches for filling gaps in programming, and provide on-going oversight and monitoring of activity implementation. S/he will require the ability to analyze the farming systems used and identify alternate crop and livestock production opportunities resulting in improved nutrition and income generation. In addition, knowledge of appropriate technology for improving production and on-farm storage will be required. The Livelihoods/Agriculture Specialist will develop and recommend innovative approaches, and will promote linkages with other components.
No allowances will be provided for this position.
* Provide the technical leadership for implementation;
* Supervise the work of the Livelihoods Officers; and work collaboratively with the Nutrition, WASH and governance components of the project;
* Coordinate closely with the Regional Department of Agriculture, establish a strong working relationship with the University for Development Studies and managers of relevant programs;
* Identify and promote innovations that support crop and animal production opportunities, micro-lending and savings;
* Facilitate the analyses of community needs and provide on-going oversight and monitoring of activity implementation.
* Master’s degree in relevant field.
* 5+ years of experience in implementing and managing agriculture and livelihoods development programs at the community and household level targeted towards vulnerable populations, or a Bachelors Degree and 10 years of similar experience;
* Technical expertise in small holder agricultural production, agricultural livelihoods, and food security;
* Demonstrated experience in capacity building and skills training;
* Demonstrated experience integrating gender equality in agriculture related programming;
* Fluency in written and spoken English required;
* Ghanaian nationals encouraged to apply
About the Organization
Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.