The Livelihoods and Economic Recovery (LER) Manager will provide program management and business development support to the Livelihoods and Economic Recovery Practice Area (LERPA) in the Economic Growth Division. In particular, this position is expected to provide day-to-day support as Project Manager for a USAID-funded rural livelihoods project in East Asia. The LER Manager works closely with the Project Backstop and Project Director to ensure the successful and compliant implementation of the program from Creative’s Headquarters in Washington, DC. The LER Manager identifies, owns, and solves potential problems, ensures quality of client deliverables and reporting, and contributes significantly to operational and technical aspects of program design and implementation. In partnership across all programmatic divisions, the incumbent will also lead or support positioning, capture, and proposal development in pertinent areas. The position may require some international travel for both project and reconnaissance activities in the field. Based on the qualifications of the candidate, this could be a mid-level to senior level position.
Reporting and Supervision:
The Livelihoods and Economic Recovery Manager will report to the Senior Associate of the Livelihoods and Economic Recovery Practice Area.
- Handle and resolve project field requests, including in the areas of contracts, procurement, finance, operations, and reporting;
- Monitor project expenses to ensure compliance with approved budgets and liaise with Finance and Contracts staff on project contractual and financial needs;
- Coordinate all corporate-level support for the project;
- Manage the preparation of monthly, quarterly, annual and final reports, project success stories and other project materials and deliverables;
- Serve as Capture Manager, Technical Lead or Technical Writer of proposals;
- Develop capture strategies, as well as participate in prepositioning and reconnaissance efforts in DC and the field;
- Identify relevant market trends and opportunities;
- Support articulation of Creative’s food security and agribusiness development programmatic values, principles, and methodological approaches both internally and to external audiences.
- Provide technical design inputs for project development and implementation;
- Provide technical expertise during field visits when required.
- Identify recruitment needs and develop scopes of work and terms of reference;
- Develop and maintain partner relationships, including the identification of and negotiation with subcontractors;
- Develop cost proposals to ensure cohesion with technical proposal;
- Make technical contributions to proposals and projects, especially in the areas of livelihoods, value chain development, agricultural development, and inclusive market systems;
- Identify and support the development of relevant technical tools to complement Creative’s existing capacity and experience in the Livelihoods and Economic Recovery Practice Area;
- Articulate Creative’s programmatic values, principles, and methodological approaches both internally and to external audiences;
- Supervise and support Program Associates and/or Program Specialists in achieving their core competencies to include conducting annual performance evaluations.
- Act as a regular point of contact with field staff and maintaining strong relations between field and HQ staff;
- Monitor subcontractors’ performance, including contracts, budgets, and deliverables;
- Based on the applicant’s background and experience, the types and levels of responsibility could change.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Economic Development, Agriculture International Development or other related discipline, Master’s Degree Preferred;
- A minimum of six years of professional experience;
- Successful track record of project management to build institutional and individual capacities;
- Experience with USAID reporting and communication of success stories;
- Experience with USAID proposal development and programming/familiarity with USAID language;
- Strong interpersonal skills, particularly in multicultural environments;
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills;
- Excellent communication skills, superior writing capability;
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work well under time constraints; and
- Superior organization and detail-orientation skills.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Proficiency in French;
- Familiarity with M&E concepts and tools;
- Experience with multilateral and bilateral donors; and
- Experience living and working abroad working on humanitarian, international development, or economic empowerment issues; and
- Knowledge of agricultural systems and markets, inclusive economic development, and value chain analysis.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.