JOB TITLE: Livelihoods Program Coordinator
LOCATION: El Fasher, North Darfur, Sudan
SUMMARY: Relief International is currently recruiting for a potential USAID/OFDA-funded program in North Darfur, Sudan. The program provides vital agricultural and livelihood development assistance to approximately 45,000 refugees, internally displaced persons and host communities in North Darfur. The program would be one year in length with a possible extension. The Livelihoods Coordinator would join an existing team of three long term expatriates and over 100 national staff in implementing and evolving a long term emergency response to recovery project in North Darfur. All candidates must be willing to live in El Fasher, North Darfur with limited travel to other areas of Darfur when security conditions permit.
The Livelihoods Coordinator will manage a comprehensive livelihoods program that includes agriculture, livestock, vocational training, and access to capital. S/he will be expected to provide technical guidance on the full range of diverse livelihoods activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide strategic direction, technical advice, and overall supervision for the successful implementation of the agriculture and EMRS program activities and interventions.
- Responsible for day-to-day implementation, including development of and adherence to workplan, management of program staff (approximately 20 local staff), meeting all program objectives, and monitoring program activities.
- Report to program leadership on implementation of agriculture and ERMS programming.
- Participate in analyses of needs at the community level, assess resources available for addressing the needs of vulnerable households, and suggest innovative approaches for filling gaps in programming.
- Manage day-to-day interactions with international organizations (including U.N. bodies), local ministries and municipalities, civil society organizations, and community networks.
- Train and oversee other agriculture and ERMS staff, including providing performance reviews and building capacity of local RI staff.
- Facilitate integration of agriculture and ERMS program activities with other program components.
- Fulfill all USAID and RI reporting requirements.
- Write proposals for additional funding for livelihoods and food security activities
- Travel within North Darfur to ensure the performance and implementation of the program.
- Minimum Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5 years’ of significant professional experience in implementing and managing agricultural and/or ERMS programs. Candidates with a broad range of experience managing livelihoods programming will be viewed favorably. Candidates with expertise in only one or two of the areas of livelihoods programming will be expected to learn the additional areas quickly on the job.
- Familiarity with and commitment to addressing female empowerment in livelihood development.
- Experience in capacity building and transfer of skills.
- Spoken and written fluency in English. Fluency in Arabic a plus.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Sudanese and/or regional context.
- Demonstrated ability to work and coordinate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders to build cooperative relationships.
- Experience in IDP or refugee situations a strong plus.
- Experience in countries with volatile security situations a plus.
- Creative thinker who actively seeks out alternative approaches to address problems
- Excellent networking, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Experience effectively managing a large team in a rural development context.
- Experience writing proposals and budgets for prospective programs, and securing program funding
- Computer literate, specifically in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of EMMA, HEA, or similar assessment/monitoring methodology considered a plus.
- Ability to live, work, and travel in North Darfur.