Position Title: Livelihoods Program Manager – Iraq
Location: Baghdad/Kirkuk, Iraq
Reports to: Programs Director
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The Program Manager will support one or multiple humanitarian projects focused on Livelihoods. The Manager will be responsible for overall project management and for ensuring that project objectives are on track, which will require him/her to work constructively with colleagues across his/her country team, within the Middle East Region. The Manager will provide technical direction to project staff and partners in the areas of livelihoods, according to the projects’ activities, and provide recommendation for improvements. The capacity building and monitoring of local partners will be an integrated component of the Manager’s work. In addition, the Manager will, on an on-going basis, assess current livelihoods needs and assist in program development to secure funding for new projects from a range of donors. This position requires an individual who is accustomed to the pace of emergency response programming, does not require close supervision or direction, and is flexible and highly responsive.
This position will require at least 50% of time to be spent in Baghdad and at least 50% of time to be spent in Kirkuk.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES:
- Strategic direction and overall supervision and successful implementation of the project(s)
- Development of work plans and budget management according to project outputs and results
- Manage teams of expatriate and/or national staff to complete program goals on time and on budget
- Evaluate activity progress and determine necessary actions to course correct
- Provide program reports that are timely and meet institutional and donor requirements.
- Represent RI at livelihoods sector and other related working groups and other stakeholder or coordination meetings, as needed, and maintain a positive, continuous and visible presence for RI
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with local partners, local authorities and vendors
- Facilitate donor visits to project sites as appropriate
- Work constructively with support teams to ensure sound administrative practices with regards to record keeping, compliance with donor regulations, communications, etc.
- Review the short and long range plans for delivery of project services, and provide guidance to the RI staff and/or local partners to improve planning, management and delivery.
- Implement monitoring systems and record keeping methods that support routine country-level, international, interagency, and donor reporting as appropriate.
- Analysis of program databases to report on key indicators. Advise on improved methodologies when applicable. Mentor local partners in monitoring and evaluation of projects involving remote management.
- Propose and implement capacity building activities aimed at enhancing skills of local staff and/or partners in delivery of education activities.
- Assess livelihoods needs of populations affected by the conflict
- Stay up to date with all regional and country-specific response plans by donors active in the livelihoods sector, and other key actors
- Provide technical input, writing and budgetary input for new program design. Writing of proposals is an essential requirement of this position.
- Interface with key donors regarding livelihoods programs
- Share methods, approaches and tools with RI colleagues across the region, and contribute toward RI’s regional response strategy by ensuring programmatic coherence, innovation and responsiveness
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- MA degree.
- Five years professional experience leading, managing, and implementing livelihoods programs, preferably in a conflict/emergency recovery setting;
- Demonstrated background and knowledge of Rules and Regulations for a variety of donors;
- Demonstrated background and contacts with U.N. agencies and other international emergency response and development actors;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- English required. Arabic is preferred;
- Strong English writing skills required;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, and tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail;
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation