Global Communities is seeking an experienced a Livestock Value Chain Specialist for the anticipated 5-year, USAID-funded Rwanda Orora Wihaze program. This program will sustainably increase the availably of, access to, and consumption of animal source foods (ASF) through the development of a profitable market. The goal of the program is to increase income for households, increase investment in ASF value chains and to improve nutritional outcomes for children and women of childbearing age.
The Livestock Value Chain Specialist will be responsible for overseeing the technical implementation of activities aimed at strengthening market systems for animal sourced foods.
Under the direction of the Chief of Party, the Livestock Value Chain Specialist’s responsibilities will include:
* Supervise the implementation of field activities related to the development of various livestock value chains;
* Support the Chief of Party in all aspects of program management including ensuring integration and coordination across activities, partner organizations, and stakeholders;
* Provide strategic direction and lead initiatives to identify and develop new market opportunities and incentivize investments;
* Oversee private sector engagement activities;
* Supervise a team of technical specialist working in focus areas such as market systems organization and coordination; output markets, strengthening the capacity and profitability of lead firms and agribusiness, supporting services (financial, non-financial, and value-chain specific), enabling environment and trade in domestic, regional, and international markets.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Solid foundation in a broad range of agriculture and livestock subjects preferred, including areas such as agricultural economics, agricultural policy, agribusiness management, agronomy, animal health and nutrition, veterinary care, agricultural extension, agricultural finance, marketing and market development, and value chain development;
* Experience with programs focusing on animal sourced foods;
* Deep understanding of business and market-led growth principles and challenges; and ability to work with a wide range of agricultural stakeholders including but not limited to private sector, banks, government, etc;
* Excellent verbal and writing skills.
* Bachelor’s degree in a field related to agricultural development such as: agricultural economics, marketing, agribusiness management or related fields. Master’s degree preferred.
* A minimum of 10 years’ international experience with successful value chain or market system development projects with management responsibility;
* A minimum of 10 years’ experience on projects with similar magnitude and complexity in developing countries;
* Demonstrated success in implementing projects aimed at increasing the competitiveness and inclusiveness of market systems using facilitation approaches.