Project title: TA for support to Civil Society and Local Authorities for local development in Sierra Leone
The overall objective of this contract is: To contribute towards the country’s long-term stability, equitable growth, poverty reduction, democratisation, and the rule of law, and to foster an integrated local development approach by strengthening the capacities of relevant actors involved with a view to achieving integrated and gender sensitive development strategies and initiatives.
The purpose of the contract is to provide overarching technical assistance to the beneficiary country, Sierra Leone, for a programme that aims at fostering decentralisation by empowering local authorities as well as local/rural CSOs in selected districts to plan and implement jointly agreed initiatives of service delivery and/or capital investment that respond to the priority needs of communities.
The technical assistance team will also support relevant institutions at the central level of government on building inclusive and participative reform processes.
It will be responsible for developing programme methodology, coordinating the activities of local stakeholders, and for capitalizing on and scaling up local achievements by addressing horizontal policy issues and institutional challenges at all levels.
In compliance with the specific objectives of the Programme, the technical assistance aims to achieve the following:
- Purpose 1: LAs are empowered to fulfil their mandate as per the decentralisation process and implement priority actions consistent with local development plans and foster joint-decision making processes with civil society;
- Purpose 2: Civil society actors, especially youth and women positively contribute to public policy making and service provision, in local rural areas.
The expected results of the project are as follows:
- Res. 1: Decentralised local government component: Local Councils’ resources base and institutional capacity to sustainably deliver and account for services are improved in four selected rural districts; well-managed priority gender-sensitive development actions, consistent with updated existing local development plans, are implemented with EU funding and in cooperation with Civil Society actors.
- Res. 2: Rural civil society initiatives component: CSOs in the selected districts demonstrate strengthened legitimacy, indipendence and capacity to sustainably operate as credible actors of local governance, and implement EU funded gender-sensitive initiatives aimed at improving inclusive social and economic service delivery to population in complementarity with LCs.
- Res. 3: Horizontal policy, coordination, and capitalisation component: the environment for effective decentralisation and local governance is improved by capitalizing on achievements in four selected districts and by addressing policy and institutional challenges at all levels.
Commencement date of the project: October 2018
Duration of the assignment: 600 working days
Qualifications and skills:
The key expert should have at least a Master’s Degree in Economic or Agricultural Sciences, Development Studies, Management Sciences, or other relevant disciplines or equivalent professional experience of 10 years in agriculture and local trade development is required.
General professional experience:
At least 10 years relevant professional work experience including at policy level in public sector, NGOs, consultancy , or other international organizations in Economic Development, Territorial planning, promotion of local development and economic value chains, out of which at least 5 years in senior positions.
Specific professional experience:
- Proven Experience in coordinating various activities to improve the effective functioning of sectors such as: Local Economic Development, Integrated Development, Support to Economic Value Chains (especially MSMEs), Agriculture;
- Proven experience in integrated inter-sector processes at different territorial levels (local, national, international) and mainstreaming Food Security;
- Capacity to identify, engage, manage, and evaluate specialist sector experts in Economic Development, Business Strategies, Agriculture and Food Security;
- Capacity to build and maintain relationship and negotiate with policy makers at local and central level;
- Experience in modernisation and management of public service delivery in the above sectors will be considered as an asset.
- Proven experience in West Africa will be considered an asset.
Facilitation and communication skills:
- Excellent English, written and spoken;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good facilitation and negotiation skills;
- Excellent skills and experience in drafting papers/proposals, reports, training materials and guidelines;
- Good analytical skills in coordination and networking.