Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organisation’s business area - GIZ International Services - is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services is shortlisted for an EU - funded project: Technical Assistance in support to Civil Society and Local Authorities for local development in Sierra Leone.
The overall objective is to contribute towards the country’s long-term stability, equitable growth, poverty reduction, democratisation, and the rule of law, and to foster an integrated local development approach by strengthening the capacities of relevant actors involved with a view to achieving integrated and gender sensitive development strategies and initiatives.
The purpose is to provide overarching technical assistance to the beneficiary country, Sierra Leone, for a programme that aims at fostering decentralisaion by empowering local authorities as well as local/rural Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) in selected districts to plan and implement jointly agreed initiatives of service delivery and/or capital investment that respond to the priority needs of communities.
Qualifications and skills
- At least a Master’s Degree in Economic or Agricultural Sciences, Development Studies, Management Sciences, or other relevant disciplines or equivalent professional experience of 10 years in agriculture and local trade development is required.
General Professional Experience
- At least 10 years relevant professional work experience including at policy level in public sector, NGOs, consultancy , or other international organizations in Economic Development, Territorial planning, promotion of local development and economic value chains, out of which at least 5 years in senior positions.
Specific Professional Experience
- Proven Experience in coordinating various activities to improve the effective functioning of sectors such as: Local Economic Development, Integrated Development, Support to Economic Value Chains (especially MSMEs), Agriculture;
- Proven experience in integrated inter-sector processes at different territorial levels (local, national, international) and mainstreaming Food Security;
- Capacity to identify, engage, manage, and evaluate specialist sector experts in Economic Development, Business Strategies, Agriculture and Food Security;
- Capacity to build and maintain relationship and negotiate with policy makers at local and central level;
- Experience in modernisation and management of public service delivery in the above sectors will be considered as an asset.
- Proven experience in West Africa will be considered an asset.
Facilitation and Communication Skills
- Excellent English, written and spoken;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good facilitation and negotiation skills;
- Excellent skills and experience in drafting papers/proposals, reports, training materials and guidelines;
- Good analytical skills in coordination and networking.
Please note that we basically can only receive and process applications sent via our e-recruiting system. Should you not be able to do so, please contact the person named in the job advertisement.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in EuropeAid format in english
About the Organization
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.