DevTech Systems, Inc. is seeking a Local Consultant (PFM/Environmental Services) to serve on the USAID-funded Fiscal Accountability and Sustainable Trade (FAST) project in Peru.
FAST is a task-driven project that supports rapid, sustainable, and equitable economic growth in USAID-assisted countries by enabling USAID to bring a systems approach to addressing PFM (public revenue, budget, expenditure, and debt), trade capacity building, macroeconomic planning and policies, and other economic governance issues, such as regulatory reform, and by supporting missions to improve the following: a) host-country capacity to mobilize revenue and provide public services; b) policy climates for investment that generate more productive employment and inclusive growth, including consideration of issues specific to women and other disadvantaged populations; c) host-country ability to recover from, prevent, and/or mitigate the impact of conflict, natural disasters, or fiscal crises; d) host-country institutional capacity to identify, design, advocate, and implement better economic policies to enhance inclusive growth and gender equity.
PFM for PES is a task under FAST. The purpose of this task is to assess and assist payment for environmental services (PES) programs from a public financial management lens to strengthen their effectiveness, efficiency, equitability, and transparency in use of funds.
The Local Consultant will provide technical and logistics support to the PFM for PES task in Peru.
Objectives of PFM for PES
Scope of Work
1. Assess the design, capacity, systems, and operations of existing payment for environmental services (PES) or other payment-for-performance programs in designated countries against principles of good PFM;
2. Provide recommendations and technical assistance to improve processes related to collection of fees and administration and allocation of revenues from existing PES programs;
3. Assess the extent to which the assessed PES activities are perceived as equitable, effective, and efficient by participants and other stakeholders; and
4. Provide country-specific and global lessons learned and recommendations for the design, operation, monitoring, and evaluation of future PES activities.
• Assume the role of local environmental or PFM specialist for the PFM for PES task as relates to Peru.
• Be available to travel in Peru to conduct interviews and focus groups in the field.
• Work with team to prepare draft questionnaires and focus group scripts for field interviews and focus groups.
• Organize and facilitate interviews and focus groups in the field.
• Conduct interviews and focus groups in the field.
• Prepare detailed summaries of interview and focus group responses.
• Support the team in preparing a draft of the final report and responding to comments received from USAID and FAST.
• Support the team in preparing the final report.
• University degree in economics, business, environmental sciences, public finance, other social science, or related discipline.
Deliverables, Level of Effort, Schedule
• Experience conducting interviews to gather information, data, and perspectives and preparing written reports and analysis presenting interview content and findings.
• Experience facilitating group discussions, such as focus group, desirable.
• At least 7 years of professional experience related to natural resources, environment, or public financial management.
• Authorization to work in Peru.
• Experience working on USAID projects preferred.
Deliverable: a report on content of and findings and conclusions from interviews and focus groups conducted in the field.
The estimated level of effort of this activity for the consultant is up to 35 days, between October 2020 and January 2021.
About the Organization
DevTech Systems, Inc. (DevTech) is an international consulting firm dedicated to development, with 35 years of experience providing advisory services and technical assistance to government, private sector, and civil society stakeholders in more than 100 countries. DevTech core practice areas include: Economic and Data analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation, Education and Youth Development, Gender and Inclusive Development, and Public Financial Management.
NOTE: This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.