Local Political Expert for Democracy, Human Rights, and Governance Assessment in Thailand
Making Cents International is recruiting a Local Political Expert to conduct a Democracy, Human Rights, and Governance (DRG) Strategic Assessment in Thailand. Each assessment will include three and a half weeks of field work evaluating trends that characterize political development. Recommendations provided to USAID may influence future foreign assistance in the areas of democracy, human rights, and governance.
The Team will consist of an expatriate Team Leader and Country Expert, as well as one Local Political Expert. One or more representatives from USAID Washington and/or USAID/Thailand will also join the team for some or all of the scheduled meetings. The Team will split its time between the capital and other locations in Thailand.
This scope of work calls for the completion of two interconnected tasks: (1) an assessment of political change and democratization within the identified country; and (2) the development of strategic and programmatic recommendations to address major barriers to the consolidation of democracy. Both segments will be conducted using the Conducting a DRG Assessment: A Framework for Strategy Development (revised 2014).
Role of Local Political Expert
The Local Political Expert for the DRG strategic assessment will work with the Team Leader in assessment planning and preparations, as well as in interviews, team meetings, briefings with the USAID/Thailand and Embassy, and drafting the assessment report. The Local Political Expert will identify appropriate contacts for the Assessment Team to meet with during the field research. He/she will travel with the Assessment Team outside of capital, draft select selections of the assessment report, and may be asked to review the compiled version of the report and offer comments.
- Assist in identifying key background documents on country prior to field work
- Assist in identifying a broad array of host country officials, researchers, NGO representatives, etc. that the Team will interview during the field research
- Contribute to the development of the Work Plan and Schedule for the field research
- Review relevant background materials prior to the start of the field research, including USAID’s revised DRG Strategic Assessment Framework, and any background materials that may be provided by USAID/Thailand
- Provide verbal briefings to the Assessment Team on select topics
- Participate in all team meetings
- Participate in interviews
- Participate in briefings to USAID and other organizations
- Contribute written input to the Preliminary Findings document which includes the key findings and likely conclusions of the assessment for submission to USAID/Thailand during the final debrief with the Mission before the end of the field research
- Draft portions of the report as defined by the Team Leader
- Review the draft report and provide suggestions for revision
- Assist in the review, revision, and finalization of the report based on feedback received from USAID in accordance with established deadlines
Proposed Level of Effort:
Maximum Level of Effort will be 30 days, with 23 days of the LOE taking place during the field work phase of the assessment (including Saturdays). The Local Political Expert must be available to accompany the Team at all times during the field work and must work exclusively on the DRG assessment while the Team is in the field. Prior to the international team members’ arrival in country, the Local Political Expert will spend up to 2 days preparing for the assessment. This will include identifying appropriate individuals and organizations for the Team to interview during the assessment, assisting with the scheduling of meetings for the Team, and reviewing background materials and data. The remaining 5 days will be spent on writing select sections of the draft report and reviewing the report. The LPE may be asked to review the compiled version and offer comments as well as provide targeted inputs during the revision process.
The three and a half weeks of field work is tentatively scheduled for August 2020; however, the exact dates are to be determined.
For a complete scope of work and to express interest, send your resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Organization
Making Cents International is a dynamic social enterprise that has been increasing economic opportunities in developing countries for fifteen years. We are known as a source of high quality technical services, and a thought leader in the economic growth arena. Our technical services and collaborative learning activities consistently improve the ability of target populations - especially youth, women, smallholder farmers, and vulnerable populations - to launch and grow businesses, participate in profitable value chains, access finance, and obtain meaningful work. Our services are based on an appreciation of client assets and market needs, local capacity building, and a desire to achieve greater sustainable results. Our success is grounded on core competencies that focus on innovation, quality, teamwork, communication, leadership, and knowledge management.
Making Cents Corporate site: www.makingcents.com.